Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What To Stock Up On and Bring?

Default What To Stock Up On and Bring?

I'm wondering what items are alot more expensive in NZ and worth stocking up a bit to bring over. What would be worth buying some extra now and save a little? These would be items that wouldn't be too heavy!

I have my favorite shoes, perfume etc. but perhaps they're 30% more there?
    Also, cosmetics, hair care products, or smaller electronic devices? Anything I should consider? Thanks!

Bring everything you own and buy more stuff to bring!

If you're moving here then you're just delaying the innevitable by bringing in consumables. Sure you may like them, but you'll run out and need to start using the local equivalents soon enough, so apart from stuff to last the first 3 weeks, then I can't see the point.

Re shoes. Mrs74 has a fetish for shoes, think it was 70+ pairs when we had a pre packing cull, but since getting to the Bay then half never see the light of day. It's just not a dressy high heel place. Ok, so some get worn up in Auckland, but the rest....

Oh... I was thinking running shoes! I have 2 brand new pair so that should last a little while. Yes, unless I go back and replenish 1x/year then its inevitable!

3 years in and I'm still working my way through my lifetime supply of toiletries that I brought from the UK - sure they sell the equivalent stuff here but at a much higher price!

As for clothes and shoes - if you aren't bothered about the current season's style in running shoes etc, then bring a few pairs. Also, if you are tall or short, then bring the appropriate sizing as ladies clothes come in a standard length. Sports clothing/outdoor coats etc... all cost a heck of a lot more here.

Furniture etc is expensive and little choice so if you have good stuff, bring it.

Electrical wont be the same voltage so don't bother with those items.

It's also good to know that you can buy stuff online and have it shipped to NZ so if you need stuff in the future, that will work out cheaper than buying here. Not good for the local economy but good for those on a tight budget.

Ah, running shoes then yes, bring another 4 pairs... at least.

Was just under $1000 for 2 pairs each for me and mrs74. Shoes have import duty (as well as GST) so they are more expensive, and there isn't the same availability of superceded models at half price.

Talking

I would consider buying cheap rolls of wallpaper, especially if you can get the £1 roll equivalent (B&Q) as it's unbelievably expensive here. Also rugs, what is it with the price of rugs here???

Definitely, bring anything that is special to you, but not electrical items I would suggest

Default Shoes, Perfume and Clothing Oh My!

$1,000 for shoes -- ok 4 pairs! I can get two pairs of Asics here for $200, so that's more than double. Looks like I'll be buying another 2 before I go! I think I'll buy some work out clothes as well. I presume there isn't a Lululemon in NZ? And stock up on some of my favorite things till I visit Canada again. Geeze you'd think I was moving to the other side of the world or something....oop! I guess I am.

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Ah, running shoes then yes, bring another 4 pairs... at least.

Was just under $1000 for 2 pairs each for me and mrs74. Shoes have import duty (as well as GST) so they are more expensive, and there isn't the same availability of superceded models at half price.

Tech clothing isn't as bad, and there are plenty of sports shops / options. It's the shoes that are the big difference.

Flying to Canada every year gives me the luxury of bringing various bargains back to NZ. Here are some examples i've brought in the past:

- real maple syrup. I buy them in the cans from Walmart or Superstore because 'real' Cdn. maple syrup is insanely expensive if you can find it.

- powdered ice tea like Nestea, Goodhouse, etc (if you're an ice tea drinker). You won't find anything like Snapple here in NZ. (or root beer like Barqs - one of my favs).

- Vitamin pills and various medicine / herbal products. Again Superstore or London Drugs is your friend. Vitamin pills sell for a fortune in NZ. For eg. Superstore brand folic acid 365 pills for $14 while in NZ, $14 would get you maybe 80 pills Bayer brand.

- Sometimes while in NZ, I crave for Kraft Dinner macaroni & cheese. However, they only sell 'instant' Kraft Mac & Cheese which isn't the same as the classic $1/box we have in Canada.

- Best Foods or Hellmeyers 'real' mayonaise. This is a bit extreme to bring over but I say when you do come over - be prepared for a shock on the price of this stuff.

- Food wrap (ie. Glad or Saran wrap) in the large rolls : Costco size. 1 purchase would last you for many years. You'll find in NZ, most things aren't sold in bulk form. I'm still surprised they sell laundry detergent in 1/2kg size and the largest being only 3kg at your Pak N Save, Countdown, or Food Town.

- Childrens clothing and toys. Toys R Us, etc. In fact my wife has me going to H&M this week in Vancouver as the choice of boys clothing in Christchurch is quite lacking due to the earthquakes.

For all of the items I bring back to NZ each year, i'm sure the savings I get would pay a 1/3 of my air fare.

Now if you've got a container to load up, I would suggest:

- BBQs, yes NZ does have a lot of them but none of them feature what we normally use in Canada. ie. Broil King or Weber brands that feature ceramic or stainless steel grills. Virtually every BBQ i've seen in NZ uses the old cast iron grill or plate which is perfect for burning chicken wings. Superstore had a 1/2 price sale on their BBQs last week so took the opportunity buy a 3 burner + 1 side burner for $99 + HST. It's not a super size BBQ as I was limited to the weight allowed on the plane so had to confirmed the packaged box was under 70 lbs (32kg).

- Self propelled gas powered lawn mowers. ie. Sears Craftsman etc. Majority of petro lawn mowers in NZ are smaller in size with smaller engines (around 3 - 4 HP). You could shop around in NZ but your chances of finding a front wheel drive mower will be zero. You could also look at petro garden tillers and mulchers.

- IKEA furnitures. They come in pre-packed packaging so would fit in the container easily.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast