Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College student moving to NZ

Default College student moving to NZ

Next year I'm planning to visit Wellington for permanent residence in the future. I want to go to the Victoria University to major in Marine Biology but, I want to ask some questions first. I'm very excited to make this happen because my education is very important to me and I want to discover new things. I just need help figuring this out because things are different in NZ from the US but, I know it's possible even if I'm young. I'm still doing my research about this country I know this is really something I want to do.

Are apartments called flats in NZ?
    How do you pay rent monthly or weekly?
    Will I be able to afford living cost of Wellington for one person and two pets on $37,440 to $43,680 salary?
    Would I need a car or bike for transport in the city?
    How long is the process for visas and is it difficult to get one?
    What is the best affordable cellphone company to purchase?

*Any other tips, advice, links are gladly welcomed.

Hello and welcome.

Yes, apartments are called flats (as well as apartments). And we found that NZers are less specific with words for where they live than we as Brits are used to - people often say things like, 'I went round to his house,' when actually, the other person lives in a flat.

Rent payments can vary according to what contract you have. Apart from weekly and monthly, there are some arrangements for fortnightly payments (every two weeks).

Whether you need your own transport in Wellington depends on where you end up living. There is a public transport network - see link. http://www.metlink.org.nz/ Some areas are extremely hilly, and if you live up there, you probably wouldn't want to rely on a bike.

If you obtain and can finance a place at university, as long as you meet the health and character requirements, you can almost certainly obtain a student visa. You'll find all the details you need here and at the links off this page. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/study/ Also, the university's own website should have a section for overseas applicants, and the officer in charge of that section will probably be very helpful if you have specific queries.

As to your other queries, use the Search on the blue bar above, and you'll find old threads about telephone providers and living expenses come up.

Thank you! I did some searching and I think 2degrees would be best, seeing how NZ doesn't have unlimited plans. I'm going to get a visa through the university but, I still need a temp visa to visit next year in the summer. As to transportation, I'm thinking of transporting my car overseas but, keeping a bike or using buses as best. I'm a naturalist so I'm trying to go easy on the carbon footprints and a bit of exercise can be good for me. When I finally get to visit I'm going to get as much info as I can about living and other expenses etc.

a temp visa to visit next year in the summer
    As long as you don't intend to be there for more than three months, and meet the other requirements, you won't need to pre-apply for a visa for this trip. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quickcheck.htm You fill in a form on arrival (as the plane is coming in to land, usually) and your passport is stamped at the airport with your permission to be in the country.

Don't forget it will be winter in NZ during your summer vacation!

Not sure how shipping a car from the US meets your green credentials, but you won't be able to do it anyway. First off you'd need to pay GST (15% on the car), although you wouldn't as a left hand drive wouldn't be let in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Not sure how shipping a car from the US meets your green credentials, but you won't be able to do it anyway. First off you'd need to pay GST (15% on the car), although you wouldn't as a left hand drive wouldn't be let in.
    I totally forgot about the left hand thing! That sucks! I love my car Hopefully, I can buy a decent car when I move there.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    As long as you don't intend to be there for more than three months, and meet the other requirements, you won't need to pre-apply for a visa for this trip. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quickcheck.htm You fill in a form on arrival (as the plane is coming in to land, usually) and your passport is stamped at the airport with your permission to be in the country.

Don't forget it will be winter in NZ during your summer vacation!
    I don't need a visitor visa because the US waivers it. I do need need ticket/flight information and so forth. I only plan to visit for a week so not too long but, I think good enough for a somehwhat vacation. I totally forgot that NZ's weather is totally different I have so much to jot down.
    Last edited by grizzx; 2nd August 2011 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzx View Post
    I don't need a visitor visa because the US waivers it. I do need need ticket/flight information and so forth. I only plan to visit for a week so not too long but, I think good enough for a somehwhat vacation. I totally forgot that NZ's weather is totally different I have so much to jot down.
    You wont see much in a week!

I don't need a visitor visa because the US waivers it.
    No, it's NZ that waives the need for a visa for US visitors - you're the foreigner here!

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    You wont see much in a week!
    Well, I'm really busy with school and because of different seasons I get thanksgiving week off here which would be spring time over there. I could do the summer for me but, that's winter in NZ and I don't want that lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast