Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working as doctor... - where?

Default Working as doctor... - where?

Hi!

I am a Swedish doctor (as seen on my signature) and mother of three children (5,5 and 6 years old). My husband is also a dr but in another speciality than me. We are seriously thinking of moving to NZ for a year or two and have been in contact with a recruitment firm that has given us a couple of offers. The problem is that we do not know enough of the alternatives to make a proper decision.
    Now that I´ve been browsing this forum I realize that you all have a lot more information to give me than the firm. We haven´t got personal experience of NZ but after having done our homework in reading books and scanning the net, I think I´ve got a pretty good overlook of the differences between the North and the South Island, the bigger cities and the smaller ones. Through reading that is. All the "soft" knowledge is what I hope to be getting from you.
    So my questions are:
    1) Does anyone have experience in working at the hospital of Dunedin? Or visiting it? Please tell me your spontaneous comments!
    2) Same question but for the hospital of Tauranga
    3) Does anyone have a good suggestion of a nice hospital to be working in? I´m an anaesthetist and I´d like to work in a stimulating surrounding with interesting and skilled collegues (nurses as well as doctors). The size of the hospital is of no importance, be it university-big or a rural-small. I have worked in both and liked it!

I am very very grateful for any answers you can give me. We´re really starting from zero here

Thank´s beforehand!

Quote Originally Posted by Swedish doctor View Post
    1) Does anyone have experience in working at the hospital of Dunedin? Or visiting it? Please tell me your spontaneous comments!
    Hello and welcome!

I have been a patient in both hospitals Dunedin Public and Mercy. I had surgeries in both of them over the last four years.

Spontaneous: Good, competent and different (to Central Europe).

Flick through some more specific questions and I will try answering them.

IF you can PM Katieben, she is an anaesthetist working in Nelson and may be able to help you.

What sort of lifestyle do you like?

Most DHBs should offer you a relocation package which will be based on the contract you sign. My OH (a Dr) signed one for twelve months so we didn't get much. In retrospect we should have signed for the full three years but banked some of the money in case we decided to go back after 12 months. It takes a long time to settle, get organised and start enjoying NZ so 2-3 years is more realistic than our original plan.

Hello and welcome.

The nicest hospital I have ever seen and worked at( ICU nurse) is the Wellington Regional Hospital. It is brand new(opened 2 years ago), and it is a big teaching hospital.
    Good luck!

Have you checked out NZLocums? http://www.nzlocums.com/

If they can't help you...perhaps they can suggest someone that can.

I have friends working as physios in Dunedin hospital, if you PM me your email address I can put you in touch with them and you can ask them questions about Dunedin!

I haven't worked in Dunedin or Tauranga so not much use - I do love Nelson (and I believe we will be advertising for another anaesthetist soon).

Have you checked with the medical council regarding your anaesthetic qualifications and their equivalency? Not sure with Sweden but we currently have a Danish anaesthetist working with us and for vocational registration she may have to do the FANZCA exam plus a year's supervised working. She's ok with her Danish qualifications to get general scope registration for short term contracts / locums though.

If Dunedin is anything like Invercargill then it will be cold

Quote Originally Posted by KatieBen View Post
    If Dunedin is anything like Invercargill then it will be cold
    Nope - the hills provide shelter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast