Thread: Packing a 20ft container yourself?

Default Packing a 20ft container yourself?

Does anyone have experience of packing a 20 foot container?

Considering this option as we have decided to only pack a small car, filled with personal possesions, and three or four motorbikes. Does the car have to be strapped down or held in any way? I would imagine it would, but can you do it yourself or does it have to be done professionally? How about bikes, do they have to be crated or is it possible to tie them down too (same style as on a ferry)? I thought that throwing some old mattresses/ thick blankets over/ between the bikes it would save them getting damaged (after removing bodywork first, of course).

All feedback welcome.

Wouldn't hurt verify if your vehicles comply. You can check vehicle standard requirements at www.nzta.govt.nz, import regulations at www.customs.govt.nz and bio-security regulations at www.maf.govt.nz.

Bracing/blocking your vehicle or crating motorcycles might be a requirement for shippers or insurers. Don't think NZ govt agencies care about that. They do care about the materials used if you do. They must meet code.

I dont think that you would be able to pack a container yourself, because of the insurance side of things. Plus is more likely to come out in one piece if it done by proffesionals. We shipped our car over in a shared 40ft container. You can also go with the slightly cheaper option of RORO (roll on roll off), which is just like a ferry where they park it on the deck. Loads of companies do it, suggest you ask google.
    Also you will have to fill out an itemised customs for for everything that you load in the car.

Thanks for the replies so far. Already checked and the vehicles comply so shouldn`t be a problem there.
    RORO would be fine if I were just sending a car, the reason I want to use a container is because of the inner cargo in the car (not allowed or at owners risk if sent by RORO) and the bikes. Sent a couple of cars years ago to NZ by RORO, no hassles at all and registration was simple.

Just get some ratchet straps, the ones truckers use for the car and smaller ones for the bikes. There should be fixing eyes in the container. Old mattresses will be ideal as will old car tyres for packing between bikes. We put an old car tyre against the back wall of the container and then pulled the car up tight to it with two ratchet straps.

Thanks Myles. The idea on using car tyres as packing sounds like a good one, and I found out that ratchet straps should be secured around the axels of the vehicle and not over the top of it - quite obvious really when you think about it.

So, Myles, I take it you packed your container yourself, do you have any other tips or advice?