Thread: Flights to Canada

Default Flights to Canada

I was just looking on Air NZ's website and noticed the cheap flights to LA and San Fransisco for around $1700 roundtrip (well cheaper than normal lol). I am guessing it's because around this time in August kids in the US go back to school so the sale is to draw tourists in.

Does anyone know if they have similar sales on flights to Canada and around what time of the year this usually happens? A flight to Canada is over $3000 roundtrip, so I'm just wondering if there's ever sales on these fares? Thanks

I just purchased a one way - direct flight for $1,400 (Vancouver to NZ). I noted return flights for about $1,800 (with stop in LA). So I think you should be able to find something around $2,000 vs. the $3,000 you've quoted. :-)

As a general rule, flights originating from from NZ to Canada and back are cheaper than flights from Canada to NZ and back. I think a lot has to do with filling the seats. NZ is a small population compared to N. America so the pricings are going to be higher due to more demand. You could factor exchange rates but I don't think it's an issue as you can't buy a ticket out of another country which departs elsewhere.

I've become fussy and for good reason. 10+ years ago I would only choose the cheapest fare possible which would always be in transit through the US (either Honolulu, LAX, or San Francisco). But because of 911, the stops there were too inconvenient - ie requiring a min. 6 hour stop over so you can clear security. On average it's 9 hours but i've stayed as long as 11 hours in say LAX.

Unfortunately today, the fares going through LAX are the cheapest. By at least $300 - $400 or less than going direct from Auckland to Vancouver. This price difference could be due to Vancouver charging a higher landing fee than LAX and the infrequent direct flights for this route. My ticket costed me about $2500 NZD and this is for departing end of April and returning in Aug. While when my dad flys to NZ, his fare costs about the same (in cdn $) from Canada departing in Oct and returning in March. He's always complained to the travel agent why my air ticket cost less than his and when you factor exchange rates, it's cheaper again (by 30% at recent rates).

I wud also like to know that what time we can get cheap flights to Canada? What about March- April?

we booked Auckland to Vancouver in March which was a deal for a trip in July NZ school hols for 2 adults and 1 child the return fare was c$5k 13 hours direct and yes we had a fab week with the inlaws!

Yup, I flew Dunedin-Vancouver return in January for about $2500NZ, and Dunedin-Montreal return last month for $2500NZ again.

I wud also like to know that what time we can get cheap flights to Canada? What about March- April?
    I would guess during NZ's peak summer (Dec / Jan). There's far more people flying to Canada during the summer time there than the # of skiers going over in winter.

But I wouldn't bet the price difference is significant. The cost of fuel keeps going up.

Ok first off let me clarify...that's $3500 in NZD from NZ to Canada...I know you can get flights from Canada to NZ roundtrip for around $2000 but that's in CDN dollars and you can't pay in Cdn dollars from here.

I think I spoke too soon I saw some deals on Air NZ yesterday $1700 roundtrip to LA and $2200 to Vancouver...the problem is then for me to get to Toronto would cost an extra $500 at least.

Dunedin to Montreal for that price is a good deal! Are most of you flying to canada from NZ going through the AIr NZ website...or elsewhere?

Thanks for the responses!