Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Children's nightwear and toys prohibited and restricted?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    Sorry, my post above may not have been clear. That's a full list of all items that are prohibited or have other restrictions. Toys and kids clothes are governed by the sale of goods act (as per that table). As the goods you're bringining in aren't for the purpose of sale then the act can't apply to your belongings.
    To be even clearer:
    1. As per the table it is the Fair Trading Act which governs this.
    2. It is about the importation of unsafe goods not their sale.

I think the restriction on children's nightwear and toys only applies to commercial imports, not the import of personal effects. If you look at the Unaccompanied Personal Baggage Declaration it says that the only prohibited or restricted goods you have to declare are:

• Articles manufactured from wildlife
    • Medicines of any kind
    • Controlled drugs other than prescribed medicines
    • Objectionable/Indecent articles of any kind in any format
    • Ornamental Pipes
    • Weapons of any kind

No mention on that form anywhere about children's toys and nightwear.

We got a quote from 2 different companies and they never mentioned anything like that. We finally went with Rainier and sent a few kids clothes and some toys, all indoors except their bikes. We did make sure all the bikes /welly boots etc were clean and then I am taking the rest of their clothes in our luggage when we fly in 3 weeks.
    Hope this helps.

okay...that makes me feel better, as long as they don't take our stuff away I am fine with it. Thanks!

Unhappy vitamins

Oh by the way, I do have a story about vitamins. We shipped about six months of supply of prescription vitamins (not synthetic, very high quality organic multi made from whole vegetable sources) from the US to Thailand, where we were vacationing, along with some calcium pills since China Post does not allow medicine/vitamins. So the Thai customs held the FedEx package for a few days, asked for verification from the doctor, and copies of our passports. I explained to them I've been taking the same vitamins prescribed by the same doctor since pregnancy and now I still need them for breastfeeding, finally after a week long translated battle via the hotel staff (who were very helpful indeed), our package was still confiscated, even though the calcium was within limit (only one box) it was gone as well....shipping plus vitamins cost us USD 700, real good lesson.

I would imagine vitamins are expensive in NZ, but this time I am not taking the chance any more, hopefully there's a place we can get non-synthetic vitamins when we get to NZ.
    Last edited by dragonrides; 3rd August 2011 at 02:34 AM.

Re vitamins - we brought 3-6 months' prescription medicines with us (levothyroxine for me, inhalers for him, eczema cream for her), no issue. We did have medical transcripts with us to explain why, but no one at customs bothered to check.

Also, we brought loads of kids' clothing and toys (for all that I sold half the toys before we left!) with no problem.

I remember reading this too and panicking..

But the shipping companies all said there would be no worries. It is more for protection against imports from some countries that would not have strict laws on the makes of their products..

We bought kids clothes and toys and NO problem!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12