Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Children's nightwear and toys prohibited and restricted?

Question Children's nightwear and toys prohibited and restricted?

I am sure someone has asked this question before...just it's hard to believe.
    "Children's nightwear, children's toys..." are listed under the prohibited and restricted goods to control the importation of unsafe goods.

But we have to bring their nightwear and toys...Do they really mean none of the children's nightwear and toys can be imported or do they mean they might inspect them?

Check that's the right list. I think you may be reading the part that's intended to restrict the importation of goods that are for sale. Even then clearly they are allowed in, albeit they need to meet safety requirements.

http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...Sheet%2005.pdf :
    'IMPORT PROHIBITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
    The following schedule sets out a brief explanation of the import
    the New Zealand Customs Service enforces at the border.'

I am not aware that our container was checked re these items back then.

Note that's Prohibition and RESTRICTION and the act that governs kids stuff is the fair trading act.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/news/reso...Sheet%2005.pdf :
    'IMPORT PROHIBITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS
    The following schedule sets out a brief explanation of the import
    the New Zealand Customs Service enforces at the border.'

I am not aware that our container was checked re these items back then.
    That's the document our shipper sent to us...as long as the shipper is willing to pack those items for us, just can't see the customs denies these items.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrides View Post
    That's the document our shipper sent to us...as long as the shipper is willing to pack those items for us, just can't see the customs denies these items.
    In this document it says these items are restricted because they might be unsafe. I would say that might very well be a basis for them.

Of course you bring them. SOME such things have been refused in the past because of issues like lack of fire retardant, or question-marks over e.g. the stuffing of soft toys, or the kind of paint used, or nature of construction, but as loads of other families on here will tell you, this isn't to say that they refuse decently-made stuff.

See this old thread for discussion. http://www.enz.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-26422.html

I've never heard any of the shipping companies we got quotes from in the UK tell us we couldn't bring toys of kids nightwear. We have 3 kids so brought lots and lots of both, as have everyone else we know with kids.

The only things we were told by the shipping companies to not bring were those items that were restricted by MAF and brand new (still wrapped in packaging) items such as electrical items etc as we would have to pay customs import duty on those. And even then, we were told not to bring food items, ground herbs & spices (in commercial packaging), wicker, sea grass, garden furniture, garden tools and pots, kids outdoor toys vacuum cleaners, etc etc and after contacting MAF directly for clarification we brought the lot, apart from some pine cones. We disinfected everything, specifically wrote that against each item on the shipping inventory list and although these items were inspected by MAF, nothing was taken away for fumigation. And also MAF told us that fumigation is nowhere near as expensive as most people are led the believe, so even if they had wanted to fumigate something it would have cost very little compared to the replacement cost of most items.

Sorry, my post above may not have been clear. That's a full list of all items that are prohibited or have other restrictions. Toys and kids clothes are governed by the sale of goods act (as per that table). As the goods you're bringining in aren't for the purpose of sale then the act can't apply to your belongings.

Quite.

MAF has produced guidelines on what personal effects you can ship, which you can find here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast