Thread: Countdown to the new adventure

Talking Countdown to the new adventure

I can't believe in three weeks we will be moving! Our boys turned 13 months today, they are walking, babbling, and hitting each other. Since they were born, they made the flight from East Coast USA to Shanghai (under 2 months), then Shanghai to Phuket (7 months), then Shanghai back to the US (8 months and returned at 10 months). Each time, they were getting more difficult on the plane, first trip they were happy in the bassinet, second time, they barely fit in it, the third time, we had to give them our seats.

They were made in Brazil, baked and born in the US, and they spent most of their life in Shanghai so far, now it looks like they might just call New Zealand home.

I'm not afraid of the move, actually I am looking forward to it, it is time for us to have some permanence. And the idea of starting over again somehow just adds some kicks to life. We are used to traveling, and getting used to traveling with our boys, it's funny that things have to take place for the right age, I wouldn't think moving to New Zealand would be that exciting 10 years ago. Instead, I was gearing up for starting my new life in America. Looking back, despite all the unfortunate events that happened, broken bones and such for small matters, it was still a good experience, it really makes me realize one thing: things are not always what they seem to be. The problem is, I just can't live and adjust my life going along with the wars and nationalistic ego any more, I tried, even to explore putting my faith completely with God during the darkest time, it just didn't work.

But I am thankful that I found my partner there, who shares the same goal in life. It is really nice to be able to have a life again, grow together with him, learning and shaping our mind at the same pace. The additionS to the family was a real challenge, even though we both quit working to look after the twins, we still needed help. China was great for that, family and good, abundant and low-cost help for hire, until the tsunami tore apart our plan...still think that's a real danger to health for almost all the countries in the northern hemisphere.

In March, we decided to give it a try to immigrate to NZ, I paid a visit through a Chinese tour company in 2008, came home with a thought that I would definitely want to go back. We scored above 140 without a job offer in April and landed a job offer in June (first and only interview, really proud of him). Then we submitted our application on July 13th and were told it will take a month for us to get the resident visa.

I like New Zealand already! It's amazing that we've talked to the immigration officer in person twice already!!! The horrible experience immigrating to the US was such a contrast to this...I had to wait online overnight, in the middle of the winter outside their Manhattan office, just to find out that I had to go back the next day because they can only process 50 work permits a day - there were at least 1000 people waiting. That was for my first work permit, then when I went for the second work permit renewal, it took them 9 months to process, I had to leave work because HR by law, had to see the actual card, one month later I received the renewal that's only valid for a year. Anyone who has gone through the US immigration process will know this feeling...that you have to break down on your knees. Years later, when I finally made the interview, waited for three hours after hauling two suitcases of paperwork zig-zagging through the maze of the subway stops, they told me they couldn't find my file and had to reschedule. Two months later, I finally met the immigration officer for the first, and only, time. That's when I decided I will never apply for the US passport. Most people feel blessed when the get to that stage, because holding the green card means you can finally breathe, choose the job and its location you like, and get paid at a fair market rate but somehow it totally turned me off.

Fast forward to today, the re-entry permit (it's basically a parole that I don't have to travel back to the US for 2 years and not losing my green card) took more than 5 months already, I will most likely get my NZ resident visa first. 1 month for NZ PR compared to an average of 7.5 years for a US PR!

Yet we understand there's no perfect place on earth, but I was really drawn to the beautiful sites I visited. Another moment I finally realized that humans are not supposed to live in smoggy, polluted, crowded and wasteful cities, was when I went to the US outwest, we spent 14 days going from Salt Lake City, to Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Arches, Antelope Canyon...we didn't want to go home, the natural state of the land and its beauty was so stunning and I wonder why the heck I lived in the cities all my life!!! Well, I did live in the countryside, a very rural area for 9 months, planting my own vegetables and taking them to the market, it was so much fun and I was going to quit my job in New York for it, but then life took a unexpected hard turn and that was the end of the story.

I am always a believer of our life experiences shape who we are. Our attitude towards life, whether it's positive or bitter, all have a reason. And I learned to investigate everything on my own, not taking others' words without a due diligence. Somehow, I didn't really look into New Zealand too much, it's just the gut feeling that we will all be happier there, the boys will grow up seeing animals in the wild rather than in a book; they will learn to grow their own foods; they will plan with their limited resources rather than going on a reckless spending; and they will understand protecting the environment and other species is a lot more important than their credit scores.

As to our little dream, to buy a piece of land, and build our dome home on it, with various alternative energy power supply, and hopefully be 100% self-sufficient. I am not sure New Zealand is the place, I sure hope we don't have to move again.

Hey life is a journey, it's not about the end, it's about what you pick up along the way. Even when you feel you are stuck after you invest years and years of hopes, it's still not too late for a change. The funny things is: I am jobless and my career ambition has downgraded to being "stuck" with the boys, we are moving from a city with a 25 million plus people that offers every possible cuisine and endless great bargain opportunities to a place with a fraction of the population and almost no deal! Somehow, I am the happiest person now than ever.
    Last edited by dragonrides; 3rd August 2011 at 04:03 AM.

Sure hope your journey and adventure all work out for you. Best of luck!!!

Hi Dragonrides!

Welcome from another twin mum!! I have 9.5 year old twin boys. I wish now that we had been able to make the move so much earlier. The education system for boys here is so much better than the education experience they had where we were.

Don't write off your career. I worked part-time for a number of years and started full time again when we moved here. Within ten months I have been promoted. I am currently working long hours but know that these will reduce in the future.

Life is a journey and it is also what you make of it. If you go in with a determination to succeed then it can happen. Good Luck with your move

Thanks for sharing your lovely post of your life overview Dragonrides! I'm routing for you and best of happiness for you, your family in your new life. Where will you be residing?

Smile

We will be in Palmerston North...never been

Char, on the subject of rooting for people in NZ, you'd probably better look at the top couple of posts on this page! http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30160&page=3