Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Long Haul Flying & Jet Lag?

Default Tips for Long Haul Flying & Jet Lag?

So many here have had made long trips to NZ! I'm just travelling 14hours non stop, but would appreciate any tips and advice for travelling such a long flight, and of course, recovering from jet lag. Thanks.

Also, any tips on how to get a free upgrade? Wishful thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    So many here have had made long trips to NZ! I'm just travelling 14hours non stop, but would appreciate any tips and advice for travelling such a long flight, and of course, recovering from jet lag. Thanks.

Also, any tips on how to get a free upgrade? Wishful thinking?

The free upgrade is probably wishful thinking unless you are lucky or have lots of airmiles.
    I did not take very long to get over jet leg, nor did our kids. I medicated them with melatonin and then kept us/them up till later that day we arrived(arrived at 0600). I think we all had afternoon naps but we were ready to go 1 day later.
    You may try 3mg melatonin when you are on the flight and drink plenty of fluids(non alcohol) and walk around when you can.
    Also set your clock to NZ time when you
    get on the plane,
    Good luck.

From the UK then stay up the night before (flight was at 3pm, didn't sleep the night before, so had been up 36 hours pre take off. Then force yourself to stay awake until takeoff from LA. Sleep like a log into Akl then stay up until at least 6pm on the day you land. From there, then avoid coffee for few days until you get into the pattern, and expect a dip about 4 days after.

My flight is in the evening so I was thinking of staying up till about 2pm (PST), which would be 9PM Auckland (next day), then go to sleep. Maybe a wee drinkie to help sleep? I have trouble sleeping and don't like pills. I did fly to Australia years ago (23 hrs?) and hardly slept... that was eons ago! 14 hours isn't too bad. But then I land at 5am in the morning. So should I take a nap when I get there or would that mess up my reclockolation (I just made up that word!).

About the upgrade..they sometimes have seats in business class they want to fill. So either pay a reduced rate (e.g. $400?) or I've heard people have been automatically upgraded with a really good reason. What worked for you? Ok---true confessions!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    From the UK then stay up the night before (flight was at 3pm, didn't sleep the night before, so had been up 36 hours pre take off. Then force yourself to stay awake until takeoff from LA. Sleep like a log into Akl then stay up until at least 6pm on the day you land. From there, then avoid coffee for few days until you get into the pattern, and expect a dip about 4 days after.
    I did it similar: Sleep deprivation was my method too.

I had slept 3 hours in the night before my plane left (~ 07:00), did not sleep much on the flight(s) to arrive in NZ at ~05:30, stayed awake until ~21:00 and slept very long (around 10 hours); and I was back to my normal pattern, no jet lag as such.

But then I land at 5am in the morning. So should I take a nap when I get there or would that mess up my reclockolation (I just made up that word!).
    Cross posted, didn't we? So I suggest strongly no nap.

So Ralf--sleep on the plane but not when I arrive. Just tough it out as late in the evening as possible to try to reset?

So Ralf--sleep on the plane but not when I arrive. Just tough it out as late in the evening as possible to try to reset?
    Kind of - yes; I couldn't really sleep anyway on the plane - so that wasn't really a battle.

The big comfy beds on the plane do help...... ;-)

There are only beds in business class....any tips for how to get a upgrade? Say I have a pet monkey named Duncan I'm worried about in NZ perhaps? Will they have pity on me. Maybe I could show them your profile pic <heehee>! Who's the cheeky monkey now?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    The big comfy beds on the plane do help...... ;-)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast