Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Sell at Car Boot or Bring it with you.

Default To Sell at Car Boot or Bring it with you.

I was going to do a lot of car boot sales to get rid of books, kids toy (grown out of) and kids clothes.

Someone suggested that it might be better to ship it to NZ (if we have room) and sell there, as we would get a better return.

I have all Rhiannon's baby clothes (0-7yrs) and toys, cot, highchair etc.

Having done one car boot, it seems a lot of effort for pennies.

Any thoughts.

Hiya,

I think it would be somthing to consider if you had space in your container. If I was you I'd pack up all the re-sale items into seperate boxes and mark the 'car boot' or something, so that they're all ready to go when you arrive in NZ.

TBH selling second hand goods when you get to NZ will probally be the last thing on your mind. Might be easier to go with a fresh start, and just sell things this side.

Ohhh decisions decisions

Milliemoo

Unless it is really good quality stuff - which sells very well - I wouldn't bother to be honest.
    Better off filling the container with gravy granules.

Absolutely Carol; use the space for gravy, marmite, toiletries, painting and DIY equipment, drugs (like Calpol which is expensive here and has long shelf life) - even good quality clothes and shoes which are not that easy to find in NZ :smile

All these granules coming over from the UK brings a new meaning to "gravy boat"

God forbid the ship sinks, Pacific Ocean will be thickened and smell aaaaah Bisto!

Jo

I was in two minds as well. But we have decided to only bring personal stuff and a few 'precious' bits of furniture with us. But lets not talk about Gary's car though

I've made an inventory of everything we own, had four imaginary piles, Keep, charity, sell and chuck. Been selling everything I can on Ebay and putting all profit in NZ fund. I absolutely hate doing car boots and having people rake through my things. ops:

I would say sell it now and use the money and space in the container for other things that seem more expensive or unobtainable on the other side.

Just my thoughts......

Deborah

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    All these granules coming over from the UK brings a new meaning to "gravy boat"

God forbid the ship sinks, Pacific Ocean will be thickened and smell aaaaah Bisto!

What about childrens books? Are they worth bringing over to sell? We used to own a small book sale business selling to primary schools, before everyone else jumped onto the band wagon. We have a few books left (or a few boxes more like!) and although we haven't even tried to sell them here for a number of years (must dig them out for ebay) are they worth keeping and trying to sell over there (all above board, of course )

Any thoughts?

Emily

Emily - check out the NZ equivalent of EBAY - trademe.co.nz - to see the price books fetch. I have only seen them at the equivalent of a NCT sale and all childrens books were well priced (ie. at least 30% of their RRP compared with a car boot in the UK where you would be lucky to get more than £1 for any book).

Libraries here though are awesome - I thought I had found heaven in Wellington City Library when they told me everything you could borrow for children was free and unlimited in numbers. Porirua library doesnn't have the AV stuff but the amount of books is incredible compared with UK libraries.

Hope all is going well with you, Simon and the children,
    Jennie :P

We would say if you have room in the container, bring it with you and sell it here. We got rid of so much stuff at boot sales for really ridiculous prices and wish we had bought it with us. Books here are really expensive and things we sold for a few pounds (pence in some cases after the haggling that goes on at boot sales), we could have made three or four times as much at the monthly market in Cambridge NZ.

It really depends on what you wish to get rid of and what you would really do not want to let go for next to nothing. We cannot get over the fact that at boot sales in the UK people try and haggle down the price on something you are almost giving away.

As an example, we had a rather nice china preserve jar with a hunting scene painted on it. We priced it at 50 pence and at a boot sale someone commented how collectable it would be given that hunting had just been banned. I said did he want it so he continued to look it over and we even dropped the price to 30 pence, but he finally put in down and walked away !!

Pam & Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast