Thread: Differences in management culture?

Default Differences in management culture?

I'm going to be looking for IT or PM Management jobs - are there differences in management style and culture in New Zealand versus the USA? For example, are there some approaches, motivational methods, staff development differences or issues that stand out?

In the USA corporate world you are either on your way up or on your way out, but I'm wondering if this competitive stance and constantant political maneuvering would not go over well in New Zealand, even though in the States it is often essential to survivial in the corporate world.

Thanks!

I'm going to be right in the thick of this issue, and working with NZ leaders to help them on such issues. My plan is to just listen lots, and learn as I go as each company/organization may be a bit different? But would also be interested in hearing if there are any general differences people have noticed...especially Americans/Canadians that have moved?

In my 3 yr experience here, there is more management bullying than I ever experienced in all my working years in the UK!

There is also the over-riding attitude of "We've always done it like this" as they don't generally like change. Don't ever say "In the UK/USA etc.. we did it like this..." cos that will really P* them off

I think with anything it depends on the company you work for. I am in a medium sized company and there are the political wranglings between those who like it the way it was and those who are trying to push the company forward. In the end I find that my co-workers are receptive to my can do attitude and take control personality. I think as an immigrant trying to make a new life we tend to work harder and they appreciate the effort put forth.

That famous 'can do' attitude really means that they say 'yes' (or yis) quite a lot but don't actually follow through and those of us that do keep to our word are often cold shouldered for showing them up!

A lot of business/management revolves around coffee...if you don't like coffee...learn to love it!

Quote Originally Posted by mooncalf View Post
    A lot of business/management revolves around coffee...if you don't like coffee...learn to love it!
    Does everyone in business/management in NZ suffer from high blood pressure as a consequence?

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    Does everyone in business/management in NZ suffer from high blood pressure as a consequence?
    No, most of them already left this misery
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 6th August 2011 at 12:47 AM.

More and more things to love about NZ! I must drink at least 2 liters of coffee everyday (and I have incredibly low blood pressure). Maybe I should put "excessive coffee addict" on my CV

Quote Originally Posted by Azkateaz View Post
    More and more things to love about NZ! I must drink at least 2 liters of coffee everyday (and I have incredibly low blood pressure). Maybe I should put "excessive coffee addict" on my CV
    You can always tell an caffeine addict when they develop high tolerance levels can't you, unless they're addicted to latte's