Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping and Taxes

Question Tipping and Taxes

Tipping needed in restaurants in NZ?

Do prices include GST? For food, services, online shopping, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrides View Post
    Tipping needed in restaurants in NZ?

Do prices include GST? For food, services, online shopping, etc.?
    No, it is frowned upon when done personally. However there might be a bowl or the like for all staff where you can leave a little.

Generally GST is included, has to be I think when prices are written. When discussing it - especially with builders and other trades - better ask for confirmation; as internally all prices are without which they sometimes tend to forget when dealing externally, ie Joe Public.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    No, it is frowned upon when done personally. However there might be a bowl or the like for all staff where you can leave a little.
    Having worked in restaurants and bars in Auckland for many years I would have to disagree with this! Tipping is perfectly acceptable, and very gratefully received for good service, but it is definitely not expected. The wait/bar staff will have their own agreement on how they deal with tips, not something you have to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by jeffanar View Post
    Having worked in restaurants and bars in Auckland for many years I would have to disagree with this! Tipping is perfectly acceptable, and very gratefully received for good service, but it is definitely not expected. The wait/bar staff will have their own agreement on how they deal with tips, not something you have to worry about
    Okay - let's ask for more opinions from other regions. I stick to my comment in my previous post and might elaborate: Our son who spent recently a semester here had exactly this experience. He was about to tip the one waiter who took care of the group in the restaurant. It was quite an awkward situation and experience he told us for both of them.

Hey there...

Dunno much about tipping in restuarants (don't get out much) but when I first got to NZ and had to use taxi's for the occasional trip to/from work/airport... tipping or rounding up and my merry "keep the change" did not go down very well. That was in NP, ChCh and Auckland. If it was a $15.60 ride...... I'd get 40c change!

In Nelson, and on the odd occasion that I drag the OH away from telly/PC/garden, any meals we have had are paid on the nose by EftPOS and there's usually a jar for tips....usually with some witty and pleasant comments... unlike the UK where service charge is automatically included and you pay for service even if you don't get it... if you see what I mean....

Just my 40c worth

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Eating out in NZ is simple. The price on the menu is the price you pay. Tipping is not expected but I am sure that it is acceptable to tip if you think you've had good service. I don't really tip here, although will sometimes throw some change into a pot by the till if there's been a warm welcome.

But service standards here aren't great by any means, but it's OK. And people used to the American standards may have even stronger views.

I will leave a tip - up to 10% - at high-end restaurants where the good service has significantly enhanced the dining experience. Wouldn't even think of tipping under other circumstances.

Now that is a cultural difference compared to N. America! No need to tip? Wow! Now that can save 10% on services in general. But I think I still would if it was "over and above service". Nice 10% more to compensate for other high prices (e.g. food) in Auckland. :-)

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Now that is a cultural difference compared to N. America! No need to tip? Wow! Now that can save 10% on services in general. But I think I still would if it was "over and above service". Nice 10% more to compensate for other high prices (e.g. food) in Auckland. :-)
    Having just returned from a break in N America, I can confirm that eating out here is vastly different. I think people (Americans?) look at restaurant prices and say they're expensive. But you don't have to factor in the addition of tax (10% in the State we visited) and another 15% tip on top. Your bill just went up 25%. We worked out that we spend similar amounts at restaurants here as we did when we lived in the US. It's just on the face of it, eating out in the US seems cheap.

But the one thing I do miss is the free soda refills

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Keep in mind also that GST is generally included when you look at the price of an item....unlike in the U.S. where a sales tax of 8% or thereabouts is added to your total. It can be deceiving and makes NZ prices seem higher.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast