Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I disclose?

Default Should I disclose?

Hi all,

I'm holding a work visa working as a graphic designer with a publishing company. However, under the new business plan, I'll be switched to part-time basis soon, working night shift which starts at 7pm.

As a result, I need to find a full-time job to support my living. But obviously I can't get a daytime job that requires me to work overtime. The night shift is important as I'll be the only person to work on the finishing stage and therefore I can't be late or absent, and it'll secure me with a long-term side income.

To save the trouble of going through the same long application process for work visa, I only wish to look for graphic design jobs.

I'm wondering... if I ever get a full-time job offer, should I disclose my part-time job details to the employer? I need a full-time job badly but at the same time I try not to lose the part-time job. I'm afraid if I tell the employer of the full-time job about it, I'll either not get hired in the end, or it'll affect my pay offer... will it?

I'm new to this country, so I'm not sure of the regulations and work culture here. Please advise.

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by klauck View Post
    Hi all,

.....under the new business plan, I'll be switched to part-time basis soon, working night shift which starts at 7pm.

As a result, I need to find a full-time job to support my living. But obviously I can't get a daytime job that requires me to work overtime. The night shift is important as I'll be the only person to work on the finishing stage and therefore I can't be late or absent, and it'll secure me with a long-term side income.
    I would have thought the more relevant questions you need to be asking yourself are when do I sleep and how do I keep my sanity? Unless the money for the part time work is good, in which case maybe you could look for another part time role to supplement your income, then I would have thought your priority should be looking for a full time role.

Difficult choices in this brave new world we are living in but your health must come first.

Best of luck with your job hunting and decision.

skywatcher, thanks for the advice

Yes, I do consider the issue of health and rest. If I ever get a full-time job, I'll be like working from 9am to 11pm. Wow... even superman needs a good sleep. I wonder how long I can endure that.

It's been quite hard for me to find a job here, as I'm not competitive enough to the local graphic designers, plus companies usually prefer kiwis over foreigners as I do not have the "new zealand working experience" as how it's said. Also, some full-time GD jobs seem to be on contract basis or for certain number of months. I'm worried if my contract ends without being extended or turned permanent, I'll be jobless. This part-time job serves as a back-up income source for living, at least...

If my full-time job is stable and pays me well, I'm actually ready to give up this part-time job. It's always been my preference to strike a balance between work and leisure. After all, life is not all about working and earning money only, to me.

Finding another part-time job is indeed in my plan too.

Are they going to give you a higher rate of pay for working such unsociable hours???

When I got the job offer, they actually offered me the most basic or lowest hourly rate set by the law. Towards the end of the visa approval deciding stage, I got a letter from the immigration officer saying that my salary was way below the market rate, despite the fact that I have had many years of relevant experience in my home country. Such offer would not qualify me under "essential skills". The company then adjusted and raised my pay a little bit but was still under the stated market rate in the letter. Luckily the immigration approved my visa. Now for this part-time job, they again have adjusted my pay, but again it's still under the market rate...

Sometimes I feel really meaningless to stay and work in this country, for being exploited this way. My performance was beyond their expectation and requirement, and they kept praising me for my good design and work attitude, but no relative "material" action was taken.

If the job hunting problem goes on, I may as well give up my work visa and return to my home country before it expires, where I can still get a job and live happier with my family and friends...

Sometimes I feel really meaningless to stay and work in this country, for being exploited this way. My performance was beyond their expectation and requirement, and they kept praising me for my good design and work attitude, but no relative "material" action was taken.
    This sort of story makes me really sad more so because I have no idea how to combat it.

Are you tied to a particular part of NZ? (e.g. kids really well settled in school)

If not I would really widen the search, if you haven't already!

Hi Sophie

No I'm single, so it's flexible for me.

But because of being single, I was said to be the "best choice" for this night shift work, as the other 2 designers have families. Sometimes I'm really ****** off by this "singlism" thing. If I'm single, does it mean I don't deserve leisure and personal life after work while family people do? I'm speechless...

Hi Sophie

No I'm single, so it's flexible for me.

But because of being single, I was said to be the "best choice" for this night shift work, as the other 2 designers have families. Sometimes I'm really ****** off by this "singlism" thing. If I'm single, does it mean I don't deserve leisure and personal life after work while family people do? I'm speechless...
    That's just not right, and could be construed as being discriminatory BUT in the current economic climate employers are getting away with murder as they are in the driving seat. It's not going to get any better either for some considerable time.

You have my sympathies.

That's true...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast