Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Maine?

Default Looks like Maine?

Driving home to Indiana after a glorious trip to Maine- stayed just outside of Acadia, hiked, biked, swam(brrr) and just had a fabulous time. I think my family were getting ready to hurl me from a cliff, because I kept wondering out loud if NZ looked like this? I think from some of the pictures a lot of you have posted it does in parts?
    The wave of intense humidity started just as we left PA and now it is choking!! Will not miss this at all
    If I thought we were determined before our trip- we are even more focused now! Plus add the events of the past week in DC!!!!!
    Get me out of here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    ...because I kept wondering out loud if NZ looked like this? I think from some of the pictures a lot of you have posted it does in parts?
    Which region in NZ are you referring to? Just here from Coastal Otago via Central Otago to West Coast you have already three very distinct regions in close proximity.

Does it matter? Lol!
    I'm sure a lot of the coastline will reflect what we experienced. Craggy cliffs, little islands dotted off shore, clear fresh air ......
    Anywhere there has to be better than the land locked melting pot we are driving in now, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    Does it matter? Lol!
    It's me just being curious as I don't know what Maine looks like...

Anyway stay determined!

It's craggy, gorgeous, small mountains, blue seas, little islands.... Our first time there and we loved it- winters brutal though! Plus still in the states!!!! Determination is my middle name- much to hubby's annoyance at times
    Thanks for the encouragement though!
    Claire

I've been to Maine many times, NZ doesn't look like Maine.

Errrr hmmm well...perhaps some areas of the South Island..maybe. Can't say I have seen anyplace on the North Island that resembles Maine. I guess perhaps the pine trees might remind you of Maine a little, they remind me of NB.
    Last edited by Addicted to NZ; 7th August 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Some areas on the West Coast look kind of similar but the vegetation is all different from Maine.

One thing about NZ is the extreme changes in environment in relatively short distances. About one of the most dramatic ones I have experienced is the 3 hr drive from Fox Glacier to Wanaka.

Oh well we loved it - just as I'm sure we will love the ocean around NZ too- I think that is what we found so wonderful - so much variety in a smaller space. Can't wait to see for ourselves .

I've been vacationing in Maine since I was a small boy. While I was driving through NZ's the north island last year, there were many places where I said "this looks like Maine". These places were not the coast or mountains, but certain places in the back country, mostly the pines. Here is a picture I took on the road to Taupo. This shot could have been taken in Maine.

One of the things I found so wonderful about NZ topography was that it seemed like a mixture of several places. You could be driving down the road, and one minute it looks like you're in Maine, the next minute it looks like you're in the rainforest, then the next minute you're in Alaska, then later you find yourself in Ireland.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bostonian View Post
    One of the things I found so wonderful about NZ topography was that it seemed like a mixture of several places. You could be driving down the road, and one minute it looks like you're in Maine, the next minute it looks like you're in the rainforest, then the next minute you're in Alaska, then later you find yourself in Ireland.

I totally agree with you Dave. You see many different areas within NZ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast