Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what dimension standards are used in NZ?

Default what dimension standards are used in NZ?

So being from the US i use all the ANSI/ASME standards here. Being NZ is on the metric system, do you use ISO? or is it a mixture? Anyone know what I should expect for drawings/design standards over there? Thanks in advance or for any guidance on looking it up. Im mainly interested in mechanical standards, but i'll take anything!

Quote Originally Posted by thedans View Post
    So being from the US i use all the ANSI/ASME standards here. Being NZ is on the metric system, do you use ISO? or is it a mixture? Anyone know what I should expect for drawings/design standards over there? Thanks in advance or for any guidance on looking it up. Im mainly interested in mechanical standards, but i'll take anything!
    Generally the ISO system especially in professional and public life!

Several 'historic' dimensions or words are still widely used though like acre or mileage.

Yea... I figured that would be the case! Thanks! And it looks like its time to learn/brush up on the ISO standards!

Quote Originally Posted by thedans View Post
    Yea... I figured that would be the case! Thanks! And it looks like its time to learn/brush up on the ISO standards!
    Have fun!

You probably like starting with temperatures and distances...

Haha... funny you should say that! I already changed the settings in our cars to metric instead of English to help us Gage temps/distances/speeds. It takes me a bit to do the conversions in my head, so in hoping to get a jump start on things.... stupid English system! At least in school 90% of the problems were metric, and here I thought I was never going to use that!

You'll have fun with ordering a beer if you like to drink that. You can get cans and bottles with metric measures. Then in some places you can order a pint, but that's an English pint, not a US one. Then again, you might order a jug, which is, er, jug sized, the size of that jug they have for the purpose!

Default When a pint's not a pint...

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You'll have fun with ordering a beer if you like to drink that. You can get cans and bottles with metric measures. Then in some places you can order a pint, but that's an English pint, not a US one. Then again, you might order a jug, which is, er, jug sized, the size of that jug they have for the purpose!
    http://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/1...world-cup-time :
    'New Zealand bars don't serve pints, serving beer in millilitres instead. An Imperial pint is around 568ml, but New Zealand bars legitimately sell "large drinks" of anywhere between 400ml and 560ml.'

The author is not quite right as these 'large drinks' here in Dunedin are called a pint!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    A "jug" is typically 4 pints or half a gallon, well at least it is in all the sports clubs I frequent in NW England!!!

No, that's not the same as an NZ jug - you'll see! Well, not the same as jugs in RSAs in Auckland, anyway.

A Jug is about 2 handles

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast