Thread: Senior Care

Default Senior Care

Putting the cart well before the horse here, but trying to turn every stone: How well does NZ take care of the older generation? Is the quality of life for seniors good or are the elderly all sent to Antarctica as leopard seal fodder?

Im not sure what benefits are available in the US for retired people, but in NZ its called Superannuation and its quite good (compared to the UK). Its not contribution dependant and women get paid the same rate as men.

The following website was recommended to me....... Its is a good guide to whats availalble.

www.msd.govt.nz/what-we-can-do/seniorcitizens
    Last edited by Kiwijo; 11th August 2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: hyperlink probs

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwijo View Post
    Im not sure what benefits are available in the US for retired people, but in NZ its called Superannuation and its quite good (compared to the UK).
    Sorry, a little correction is necessary:
    Superannuation and retirement are not related here in NZ. You can get super but still be working after 65 currently or you can retire earlier than 65 but you don't get super.

Default Overseas pensions and NZ superannuation

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurefamily View Post
    Putting the cart well before the horse here, but trying to turn every stone: How well does NZ take care of the older generation? Is the quality of life for seniors good or are the elderly all sent to Antarctica as leopard seal fodder?
    For many of us this will be of interest: see here https://www.msd.govt.nz/what-we-can-...main-page.html

That's an excellent website - rather as with INZ, it's necessary to look at all the links and sidebars for access to a massive amount of information.

Agreed, JandM, I guess I kinda assumed people would realise that once they got onto the page!

No offence to all the highly literate and experienced web-users on this forum, and of course, the following comment doesn't apply to each one of you out there.

But I'm one who has many times posted would-be helpful links, and believe me, it's not safe to blanket assume anything. At least, not unless you know a website which automatically greets each searcher by name in big red letters, and says, 'Oi, YOU! Now do this ->' in flashing neon.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No offence to all the highly literate and experienced web-users on this forum, and of course, the following comment doesn't apply to each one of you out there.

But I'm one who has many times posted would-be helpful links, and believe me, it's not safe to blanket assume anything. At least, not unless you know a website which automatically greets each searcher by name in big red letters, and says, 'Oi, YOU! Now do this ->' in flashing neon.
    YEP, we learn to adapt...
    Issue being that occasionally people don't know enough to ask the right questions!

Ok - point taken. Will assume nothing from now on.
    :O)