Thread: So, how many of you emigrated because of love!

Default So, how many of you emigrated because of love!

Just for a fun thread, how many folks were on holiday in NZ and met their love of their life/man-woman of their dreams/sweetheart/hottie, etc. and decided to emigrate to be with them???

Any good stories?

This is actually my reason for emigrating... I did seriously thinking about moving here back in '98 when I visited for the first time but the laws of entropy won over and I never did.

Coming back in '06, I met Sweetie and that was it! Pretty funny actually, because in the Northeast corner of the US (think Boston), we're uptight for the most part and there's always a little negative voice in our heads saying things like, "I don't know about this...I don't think this is gonna work... I just don't know if I should take the chance...yadayadayada"

But with Jen, it was instant. Our first 20 minute conversation on the street and we were telling each other all kinds of things. The first date was the next night and we saw each other every night after that. 1-1/2 weeks later, we did a 4 night tramp in Akaroa. 3 weeks later, I moved in. 6 weeks later, we were buying a washer and dryer together. 6 months later, I told her that I was going to head back to the US to finish things up and apply for PR. Pretty amazing for someone coming from such a reserved background!

Who else has a good story?

I did it the other way round, came to the UK on holiday, met and married the love of my life and am still here 18 years later. :O)

I met my Kiwi husband, who was playing professional rugby in France and we spent a week and a half together. I didn't realize just how much I liked/loved him till I got on the plane to head back to the US. And when I landed and saw an email from him that said "Parlez-vous Kiwi?" (Do you speak Kiwi?) I knew we were going to be together for a very long time. We talked, IM's, and emailed all the time. I met him in Ireland two months later, he spent 6 weeks with me after that and then I went over for a visit 2 months later and that is when we got engaged - 7 months after we met. We got married 8 months later and have been married for 10 years now. We are heading back to NZ to raise our two gorgeous little maori, kiwi, rugby playing boys.

Love the stories so far.. very cute..

I met my gorgous kiwi 12.5 years ago in Sydney while on my "year out" there. He was working there. At first, I was saying " who is the kiwi surfing dude that doesnt stop talking" but now I would never look back! 2 months after "hooking up" we were living together, i then had to go back home, and looked at coming back to Oz to be with him, but as luck had it , he was made redundant so had the opportunity to come over to Ireland. He arrived in the snow in his shorts and insisted he was not cold!!!! He survived the cold for 10 years but enough was enough and hence we are back in the long white cloud with rings on our fingers (bells on our toes - oh sorry I mean the two kids!) and looking forward to our year anniversary of living NZ in 6 weeks and our marriage anniversary of 8 years in a month..!

We met in UK, went to Oz, came back to the UK, and are now in NZ 10yr together, 7 of them married.. and less than one so far in NZ - but hopefully many more in the future!

Default Romantic Beginnings

Awww....lovely thread!
    I was here 15 years ago when I met my then-to-be-husband in the pub! Marriage proposal on [No Tree] Hill. Then quickie wedding (get the visa, get the visa). Back to the UK, 2 kids. Then back here (bringing aforementioned children). In a nutshell.

Default And then I married him

I first met my now hubbie when I was 14 in the UK and he was my first proper boyfriend. We dated for years then drifted apart. Years passed n we stayed in touch on n off but there was always a real spark. In 2007 I moved to NZ with my son. Early in 2010 the now hubby got back n touch after almost running my mother down in Guildford High Street and she told him to contact me as I was single- we totally hit it off again and he sold everything in the UK and flew to NZ. We married on Lake Taupo Dec 31st 2010 and life truly could not be better. So I kinda think he warrants being included in this thread.

Aw...

My son met his now Kiwi wife in Oz when she was working with my daughter (we are from the UK).

Eventually he emigrated to NZ.

In 2007 my daugher got a job in NZ and met her Kiwi (soon husband to be) on an Internet Dating Site. They are getting married in December

Two UK children marry two Kiwi's and they all live in the Bay of Plenty.

Their parents (me and OH) are following out in October this year.

So we will all be there then!!!

My Good Lady Wife and I are childhood sweethearts both growing up in NZ and meeting each other in our late teens. At the age of 21 I left to see the world. I was living in Italy when my then girlfriend decided to move to London about 10 months after I had left. I met her in London, moved to Cambridge, back to London, got married in Scotland, brought a house and remained in London for a number of years.

We had our first child a year ago to the day on this coming Wednesday. My wife then wanted to move back to NZ after 15 years of London living. I was extremely reluctant but agreed with her reasons and so here we are. I’ve now been in NZ exactly two weeks.