Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping my car from the UK

Smile Shipping my car from the UK

Dear All,

Has anyone had an experience in shipping cars from Scotland to NZ?
    I have never realized that I would have to take care of the paperworks for shipping my car before entry int NZ. To be honest, I have thought that the moving company would handle this nicely. Anyway, it would be nice if you could help me! I came to Auckland 3 days ago and the moving company said my stuff can't be released without receipt of the papers from the NZ custom.
    Many thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by stillshin View Post
    Dear All,

Has anyone had an experience in shipping cars from Scotland to NZ?
    I have never realized that I would have to take care of the paperworks for shipping my car before entry int NZ. To be honest, I have thought that the moving company would handle this nicely. Anyway, it would be nice if you could help me! I came to Auckland 3 days ago and the moving company said my stuff can't be released without receipt of the papers from the NZ custom.
    Many thanks in advance!
    What paperwork do you think you need? We have receipt, V5 minus export part, passport JP certified picture, visa and signature page and request for marking it as an immigrant vehicle.

Read here http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...a-vehicle.html along with factsheet 44(a)

Once that is received MAF should release the vehicle and you will have to transport it to an approved agent (VTNZ, AA etc) to get entry certification, WOF and reggo (you can't drive it on the road until you do all of the above)!

Hello and welcome.

Hi,
    Below is the response for the AA (NZ) as we are also shipping our car -

The chaps name that we dealt with at the AA was Alan Chesterman (v. nice man- v. helpful). His email is A.Chesterman@aa.org.nz - (hope it is OK to put this on here - if not moderator please delete as necessary). Hope this helps.

AA Advice
    To try and make things simple, because you are Shipping your vehicle next year 2012 if this vehicle is Petrol driven then it will have to Comply with a Euro 4 Emission Std. You need to check your vehicle for a Whole of Vehicle Compliance Plate see attached example, if this plate contains 2001/116 or later, this will Comply your Vehicle with All Stds. Including the Frontal Impact Std. But not the Euro 4 Std required at that time.

As you are a New Immigrant, you should Comply with the Immigrants Exemption for both Frontal Impact & Emission Stds. Go to www.nzta.govt.nz Go thru “Your Vehicle” then put Immigrants Vehicle in Search Field – then Top Paragraph Click on Address this will bring up the Recognition of an Immigrants Vehicle Forms. Read these and make sure you qualify with all the areas required. These are filled out at the time of Compliance in NZ – But you need to make sure you can do so, before Shipping. Initially you need to have been outside of NZ for 21 Mnths or more and owned the Vehicle in your name for 12Mnths or more – read on.

If you cannot Comply under these options, You will need to obtain either the V5 Registration Form and check for Emission Std Info. Bear in mind it is NOT the Emission “co readings”, it is Euro 4 or a Std.

You look for.

Or a Certificate of Conformity with the Emission Std Included.

Or a Statement of Compliance from the Homologation Area of Suzuki the Manufacturer, signed by the Homologation Manager on Letterhead with All the Stds that the Vehicle was built to. This one can be Expensive! ( Scan to us and also a photo of the Whole Vehicle Plate for Checking.)

The rest you will have on the Whole of Vehicle Plate, so that’s where you start

We shipped our 2 year old VW Touran from Scotland. Our advice from the movers was to obtain the certificate of compliance for NZ from the manufacturers for the vehicle chassis no which we did...cost £100, but saved so much aggro.

There is also another form we filled, can't remember its name with the movers as the car went into the container. On arrival in NZ you will need to visit customs with the paperwork (of which you should have copies) as you need to prove your migration status, sign a deed re GST and duty and pay them a small fee.

The car will need transported to a garage to get its import inspection (which is fairly heavy duty, and requires removal of seats and dash to ensure everything complies), plates, road taxed and of course MAF inspected (expect another steam cleaning bill). This will take about a couple of weeks from the arrival of the container. It cost upwards of $1000 (but we imported a diesel, so had Road User Charges in there as well) and that was with no work requiring done on the car post checks.

In our opinion it was worth it as the cost of shipping was marginal (we needed a 40 foot container as we were over 20 foot by a long way, but had space for the car.) and the loss on sale and repurchase cost of an equivalent vehicle more than covered the costs.

Only problem for us now is that the state of the roads post EQ make a 4x4 a desirable option for where we live and we cannot sell without incurring duty and GST, but we will live with that. In snow recently I was glad that I was in a modern European car with ABS and anti skid features, as I was used to driving this vehicle in snow and knew how it handled...plus diesels are few and far between here....so our touring has been a lot cheaper than in a petrol car.

May sound ignorant, but who should I ask for the certificate of compliance? I have a BMW, is it the BMW dealer in the UK or the Company itself?

Quote Originally Posted by katchi View Post
    May sound ignorant, but who should I ask for the certificate of compliance? I have a BMW, is it the BMW dealer in the UK or the Company itself?
    You need to contact BMW UK and ask for the homologation department . We did this about 4 or 5 weeks ago and, sorry, didn't keep the contact details. However, contact any dealer and they should be able to provide you with the number. BMW were very helpful and the Certificate of Compliance provided free of charge.

Hope that helps.

That is very helpful Steve. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Is there any other paper work to be completed here in UK? I am hoping to send the car by the end of this month.

Quote Originally Posted by katchi View Post
    That is very helpful Steve. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Is there any other paper work to be completed here in UK? I am hoping to send the car by the end of this month.
    katchi, you will need your log book (V5) and proof of purchase. To avoid import tax you will need to show that you have owned the car for more than 1 year. Some sort of receipt would be helpful if you have it. I also believe that you will need to include a copy of your passport with the customs forms but my OH dealt with those and at the time of writing she's in bed asleep whilst I follow the exchange rates

Whoever is dealing with shipping the car should give you all the advice required to make it run smoothly. Failing that then drop Rene' at the AA in NZ an email and he'll tell you all you need to know RHausin@aa.co.nz

Check the car for rust.....reading through one of the other threads it looks as though this causes major issues and expense at the NZ end.

Called the BMW and they have responded immediately. Thanks for clarifying other requirements/documents needed. Very helpful. Good luck, hope you get good rates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast