Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Organic food in New Zealand?

Default Organic food in New Zealand?

Even though we plan on growing our own food but during the first few months before we settle, we need to find out where we can get organic food for the babies.

They are 13 and half months old now, when we get to Palmerston North they will be 14 months old. Their usual diet includes the following foods:
    - green leafy vegetables (darker greens will be the best)
    - fruits: apple, pear, grape, berries
    - grains: millet, quinoa, brown rice, etc.
    - other vegetables such as tomato, zucchini, pumpkin, sweet pea, sweet potato, carrot
    - seeds: sunflower seeds, chia, peanut
    - beans: black bean, kidney, chickpea
    - eggs

The items in bold we only buy them organic. Not sure how Kiwi grow their foods there, do most farmers use pesticides and herbicides? for example. I would think the quality of the land (therefore quality of food) there will be better since it's so much cleaner?

We searched for the farmer's market and we are happy to find one in Palmerston North. Anyone has been there? Do most of the produce they sell there are organic?

Any information on where to find organic grocery, which chain carries organic food, especially near Palmerston North will be very helpful...Thanks in advance
    Last edited by dragonrides; 12th August 2011 at 02:14 PM.

Be careful. The soil here does lack some minerals. Don't forget that NZ hasn't been inhabited for all that long in evolution terms, and so I've seen reports that there are some issues with the lack of some minerals from locally grown organic veg.

I don't know enough about it to advise you on what to feed your kid, but hopefully if you're aweare of the issue you can research yourself and make a decision.

I've seen lots of organic produce for sale. I don't think you'll have a problem - I think Kiwis, in general, are more aware of these concerns than in the U.S.

Default Frustrated with organics...

We just moved from the US (OR and VA) to Auckland and have a toddler and infant. So far, it's been difficult to find everything that we were used to getting organically in the US. Most large grocery stores may have organic apples and a few other things but not much selection. We've found a few local coop type stores that do have small mostly organic produce sections. We've been able to get grains, seeds and beans organic and several fruits (apples, kiwis, banana, citris) and veggies (chard, kale, tomatoes, squash, tubers, roots, cabbage etc), but no berries like grapes (which is on the dirty dozen list). Maybe I just haven't found the right places to look yet, but it does seem to me the organic market is not as developed here as it is in the US (not sure where you are from). What I have seen appears all local (eating local and in season is good), but it's nice to have things like grapes available to the kids year round which takes imports. I'm looking into CSAs (community supported agriculture) right now... but I think it might be a "budding" movement rather than a well developed one.

Not sure what pesticides and herbicides get used here and will be interested to find out more. I'm guessing the economics of using such things is different here given that the chemicals probably have to be imported at a premium. I do know that NZ banned BGH, so all dairy products you may get will be free of that.

I'd be interested to know how you get along. My husband and I are planning on supplementing significantly with our own garden which we will start soon, but until then...

~Susan and Family in Auckland

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrides View Post
    We searched for the farmer's market and we are happy to find one in Palmerston North. Anyone has been there? Do most of the produce they sell there are organic?

Any information on where to find organic grocery, which chain carries organic food, especially near Palmerston North will be very helpful...Thanks in advance
    Don't know about Palmerston North but to give you an idea:

On our Otago Farmers Market there are around 1/3 of the products organic; many of them not 'certified' though.

One of our local New World supermarkets has quite some organic products; fresh fruits and veggies and also a range of other products (in the same aisle as international products).

Organic products can only be sold if they are grown in the area, I suppose, at least I haven't seen imported organic fruits and veges (which would make the whole 'grow organic' thing a bit ridiculous, anyway, since it is not only about the pesticides but also about sustainability in general, IMO)

I have never seen locally grown grapes in any of the shops since we live her, it might be different on the North Island, but as far as I know grapes are only grown for the wine industry.
    To eat untreated table grapes, you would probably have to grow them yourself.
    Again- having grapes available for you kids the whole year round in a country like New Zealand, where certain types of fruit an veges just don't grow all year round, sort of goes against the idea of organic nutrition.

Just my opinion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Organic products can only be sold if they are grown in the area, I suppose, at least I haven't seen imported organic fruits and veges (which would make the whole 'grow organic' thing a bit ridiculous, anyway, since it is not only about the pesticides but also about sustainability in general, IMO)

I have never seen locally grown grapes in any of the shops since we live her, it might be different on the North Island, but as far as I know grapes are only grown for the wine industry.
    To eat untreated table grapes, you would probably have to grow them yourself.
    Again- having grapes available for you kids the whole year round in a country like New Zealand, where certain types of fruit an veges just don't grow all year round, sort of goes against the idea of organic nutrition.

Just my opinion, though.
    When did you leave Dunedin? Organic grapes have been offered here on our market. Of course the wine types like Pinot Noir, Muscat, Gewuerztraminer.

I agree that organic goes with local goes with seasonal!

Yes if they are truly organic, seasonal produces make sense. It took us a good six months to find the right organic supplier here in Shanghai, I place the order online, they harvest them in the morning and deliver to our door a few hours later free of charge - as long as the order is over USD 15, can't get that kind of deal in New Zealand I guess. The Chinese believe you are only supposed to eat what's in season, and there are so much varieties of vegetables here for each season, something we don't get in the US. Actually this past year I had probably 10 greens I've never had before, and I was born and raised in Shanghai!

Whole Foods was our one-stop shop for everything, and I miss them in China. But for some baby items like teething biscuits, I just couldn't find any without sugar/maple syrup in the US. We found an Australian made toothiepeg in Shanghai, the brand is Bellamy's, it's free from sugar and dairy. I should be get their stuff in New Zealand I think.

We have always been staying away from the dirty dozen, especially the grapes grown in Chile. Good that there's no rBGH (what about antibiotics? if the Kiwi cows eat grass maybe they don't need either) but we don't eat dairy products anyway. Maybe New Zealand is too small of a market for Monsanto, lol...

Anyway, thanks all for the reply. We will have to find out when we get there, I guess. And I am thinking about growing some Chinese vegetables, I am sure no one sells them in Palmerston North, just have to get some seeds over, that's the hard part.

Not sure about Palmerston North, but our local Foodtown has some organic produce, plus we're very lucky to have an organic supermarket within about 5-10min walk to us as well, so there might something like that round your way as well.

There's some organic produce in Palmy- the selection isn't great and the prices seem ridiculous to me.

For the most part- cattle raised here don't get antibiotics unless they need them. And yes- pasture raised cattle can still need antibiotics. You CAN find organic meats around though- I just find them too dear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast