Thread: NZers going back to NZ - success stories

Default NZers going back to NZ - success stories

My husband and I are from NZ and returning end of next year after 23 years in Australia. I would love to hear some stories of people returning to NZ an how it has been for them. Hopefully positive ones

I admit I looked at some discussions on other forums, which I will not mention, and had tried to avoid but gave in. Now I'm worried. Are we doing the right thing. My husband and I are committed to this move to be closer to our family. We have told our families who are understandably very excited. We never left because we hated it either - just an adventure that went on for 23 years We have gone back regularly and know it isn't perfect but I don't think anywhere is really. So many people from NZ have always gone to OZ for a better life. To be honest we have really struggled in OZ over the years. There have been many tough times (mixed with the good too I might add).

Maybe this is just a natural part of process being so nervous about moving our family back (we have 3 little children). Don't know. I'm sure this feeling will pass, but right now just need some positive stories I guess.

We've been here since last Nov - hubby is Kiwi, I'm British. The worst part so far as been earthquakes, but we're still in Chch Being nearer to his family is great, though obviously I miss mine! It's not perfect, but nowhere is... I'm still happy to be here!

As background: he left NZ for Oz in 1997, then came to the UK in 1999. We met up and went back to Oz in 2001, returned to the UK in 2004 and finally came to NZ in 2010 with our daughter

Hi Narm,
    You will find when you return that NZ is an even better place, IMHO.

Don't read that other site. I believe there are some NZer's on it from a small group with an anti-immigration agenda, and they infiltrate other forums as well, with horrendous stories, that those of us living here know are fabrications or at best exagerations, in order to try and stop immigration here.

NZ is still a safer place than any to bring up children with the same sort of education system that you knew when you left and the wide open spaces and friendly atmosphere.

Hello and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hello and welcome.
    Thanks.

We moved back from UK, after being away for 12 years (London x 6 years, Glasgow x 6 years), with 2 little ones in tow. Has been a good experience. Children far fitter than in UK & enjoying themselves. We are more relaxed (though Nelson was always going to be lower pressure than London or Glasgow). We were very happy with life in UK & really liked both London and Glasgow, apart from the weather in Glasgow, of course, & had 2nd, 3rd and 4th thoughts about moving - it was the chance of a "better" life for the children that swung it, but the adults have both found it a good move.

Closer to families has been a positive experience with Grandparents over the moon (and always available for babysitting!!) and with children really enjoying having relatives around (they had some great aunts and uncles in Scotland but way more in NZ)

Your mileage may of course vary, depending what it is that you want, and where you move to.

Thanks for your replies. I'm in a better headspace today.

happy az - yeah I avoided that other site for so long and curiosity got the better of me. Interesting what you thoughts are about who is posting.

alldone - luckily my husband and I are both from Auckland so most of our friends and family are there. The lifestyle is also good here in Australia for the kids but the added bonus about NZ is the family. We get on very well with our families and they also get on with each other!

Quote Originally Posted by Narm View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I'm in a better headspace today.
    Come and join us in our great (i'm biased ) country Narm.