View Poll Results: Is the expectation of this service in tune with our time now?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 20.00%
  • No

10 66.67%
  • not sure

2 13.33%

Thread: expectations re service

Default expectations re service

The following is a quote from within this forum, do you agree with the statement?
    'All too often i've gone to dining where the service is very poor in NZ and i've not ever been to a place where nice pretty ladies will open the door for you walk in and again, open the door when you leave.'
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 12th August 2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: hyphens added

I've been to places where members of staff held the door for me if they happened to be nearby when I was entering or leaving. I would hope anybody, staff or not, would do that for me, specially if e.g. I was carrying several bags or was trying to manage an umbrella - I'd do it for anyone I saw. I don't want grovelling, but I'd quite like people not to ignore me, or let doors swing back in my face.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    The following is a quote from within this forum, do you agree with the statement?
    'All too often i've gone to dining where the service is very poor in NZ and i've not ever been to a place where nice pretty ladies will open the door for you walk in and again, open the door when you leave.'
    OK Ralf, you've made your point. The mention of pretty ladies is of course unfortunate but political correctness apart, service in NZ is in a class of its own.

Hila

I can't agree re the bad service at all, I have no complaints about the service here, neither in restaurants nor in shops.....
    Maybe it is because we are in a small town, maybe my expectations are different from other people's, maybe it hast to do with the way i approach people ( I'd hope so!), but it is very rare that I feel ignored or not served well!

Variable. Some places have offered the best service I've known. Going way beyond anything you could hope to get. On the other hand, this very morning I walked out of an upmarket kitchen store as the assistant saw me stood looking for help, made eye contact, looked away, wandered aimlessly, then again saw I was look at her to ask a question. Repeat 3 times, before I decided I'd go somewhere that wanted my $$$. Ok, so all I actually wanted was a blade for a hob cleaner and not a full set of copper pans, but she won't ever know that.

As for restarants then I guess it depends what you look for. I find the whole atmosphere here more relaxed, and so that may mean that service appears 'sloppy' to some, but to me is all part of the 'relaxed' approach.

I question the validity of this poll regarding the service of ie. restaurants and tipping. Why? Because if the service is indeed horrible, no one would go out to eat. Kinda like questioning if the repairs on a car from the garage will fix the problem. One can only guess if the mechanic had fixed it, or only fixed for short term use - either way, if the service or workmanship is poor, then no one would go there.

Generally speaking, the level of service is going to be acceptable regardless of industry.

I would question if the hospitality service in NZ is as good as say in the US where they tipping is the norm.

Comparing the service to back in UK on our last trip 4 weeks ago it's streets ahead here in both shops and restaurants .

I've had trouble with my truck and the transmission had to be taken out twice but the garage is only charging me for the one time

time and time again I find the service in shops and restaurants excellent, far better than it ever was in the UK.
    Only a couple of weeks ago I went into Dick Smiths and needed an extra long lead(at least 5 metres) for the sky box and all they had was 4 metres but the assistant took my phone number and rang me later to say he had located one and it will be in the store in a couple of days. Hows that for service.
    as for the poll I must be a bit thick because I dont quite understand it and have no idea how to answer it.

Got to agree I find the service here much better than the UK. We shop in big towns & supermarkets are great & friendly & eating out we've not had a problem either. I find almost every shop I go into I get eye contact & a "Hello how are you today?" I actually find this un nerving & still getting used to it as in little shops it makes me feel I have to buy something! The only shop I have bad service from is Farmers, which being a big department store I'm not surprised, but even there it can be good just not as good as others.
    Not sure about the op statement about pretty ladies opening doors, what sort of establishment is this referring to?