Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how long does nursing registration take ?

Default how long does nursing registration take ?

Have been looking at the application form and boy is it another stress,
    Stage 1: requires 2x professional refs - no real prob for husband as he has been a deputy ward manager in the same hospital for 10 years, for me I have only been in my current role since beginning of May - so that may be a hassle. Character ref, no prob. IELTS booked and praying for a miracle !, all the rest is fine just take the whole lot to get it certified so I think that stage is not too bad.
    Stage 2: verification from the NMC - so I guess that is not too bad,but I imagine they move quite slow ! then there is a bit thing about the syllabus and course and they have to have it from the nursing college you attended - seems a nightmare bit to me. Husband trained at Coventry school of nursing, which was then taken over my Coventry university a few years later. Gathering everything together as I have only just realised you only have 4 months from time of ITA being granted eeeek, we have been selected in the last draw but not have ITA yet - hopefully they will be a bit slow with it !!!
    Anyway I would really appreciate peoples advice and experiences of registration with the NZNC and time scale for it. Also do we both have to register for the ITA or can just the primary applicant ? I have a feeling it may be both as we got points for me too - although the eoi didnt ask who I worked for, just asked for my qualifications.
    OOOoohhh it is hard !
    Sharon x

Quote Originally Posted by shmookie View Post
    Have been looking at the application form and boy is it another stress,
    Stage 1: requires 2x professional refs - no real prob for husband as he has been a deputy ward manager in the same hospital for 10 years, for me I have only been in my current role since beginning of May - so that may be a hassle. Character ref, no prob. IELTS booked and praying for a miracle !, all the rest is fine just take the whole lot to get it certified so I think that stage is not too bad.
    Stage 2: verification from the NMC - so I guess that is not too bad,but I imagine they move quite slow ! then there is a bit thing about the syllabus and course and they have to have it from the nursing college you attended - seems a nightmare bit to me. Husband trained at Coventry school of nursing, which was then taken over my Coventry university a few years later. Gathering everything together as I have only just realised you only have 4 months from time of ITA being granted eeeek, we have been selected in the last draw but not have ITA yet - hopefully they will be a bit slow with it !!!
    Anyway I would really appreciate peoples advice and experiences of registration with the NZNC and time scale for it. Also do we both have to register for the ITA or can just the primary applicant ? I have a feeling it may be both as we got points for me too - although the eoi didnt ask who I worked for, just asked for my qualifications.
    OOOoohhh it is hard !
    Sharon x
    We are in a similar position to yourselves. EOI selected early May, ITA issued early June, had to get my qualifications equivalenced by the NZQA (took about 1 month), medicals booked early July, reports received mid August. In that time frame my wife has sat the IELTS test twice and has re-booked for her 3rd test next month. The IELTS is a sticking point, given the vagaries of the test, timescales to sit it and get the results back.

I can't speak for the NZNC in terms of their timeframe yet as we still have that bridge to cross but if they are anything like the NZQA, and based on the experience of others, I think they are fairly quick at turning it around.

If you haven't submitted your EOI yet then I think it might be best to wait until you've both at least got your IELTS sorted out and preferably your NZNC registration too.

I think I will take your advice Skywatcher and get my registration and IELTS before submitting EOI. Just need to check if there is any time limits between them e.g. how long IELTS lasts. Am finding the advice on this site invaluable!

Not sure about IETLS as I did not have to take it but total for nurse reg took about 3 months. I had to get paperwork from UK and US and then they kept 'losing things'.
    We applied with one primary applicant as I am the nurse (and more points)and got in that way, family were on application too.
    Once you have registration then you need an APC, like a State license but renewable yearly, don't apply for that until you have registration and have an idea of when you are moving over.

Good luck.

INZ say that as far as they are concerned, IELTSes don't expire, UNLESS the certificate itself has a 'valid until' mention on it. For some obscure reason, apparently some certificates do, and some don't. Go figure what sense that makes! But I believe the ones that have a date on last three years. Anybody?

thanks for the replies, we have been selected from the pool but still awaiting ITA. We are gathering all our other info for registration and as soon as we get through the ielts we will send it - we have done loads of practice on the ielts sometimes we do ok other times not so great, just sent off for a book today as I think that may help a bit, also it will show how the tests are marked. Is it percentage ? like 7 = 70%, 7.5 = 75% ?? 8 = 80% etc etc.. Concentrating on the reading part as that seems to be most peoples sticking point. Well I guess what will be will be !!

If you got full marks, on everything, you would have a score of 9. Your overall score is the average of the scores you have in 4 different tasks (listening, reading, writing and speaking). All of these tasks are scored out of 9.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    INZ say that as far as they are concerned, IELTSes don't expire, UNLESS the certificate itself has a 'valid until' mention on it. For some obscure reason, apparently some certificates do, and some don't. Go figure what sense that makes! But I believe the ones that have a date on last three years. Anybody?
    I've just looked at my wife's IELTS certificate and it states in a small print note at the top "....It is recommended that the candidate's language ability as indicated in this Test Report Form be re-assessed after two years from the date of the test".

A re-test is therefore only recommended. I suppose this means that ultimately it's upto whoever requires the test in the first place to stipulate their own criteria on validity and expiry of tests. I reckon that IELTS are also recommending a bi-annual re-test as that helps to keep the cash flowing in too (somebody tell me I'm not a cynic!!)

So, ultimately, we're left none the wiser then on expiry dates, if any!!

Well, by the sound of Barfooj's intentions, the IELTS wouldn't have a chance to expire before being sent to INZ.

Your cynical view may be right, skywatcher. ("I couldn't possibly comment.") But for any speaker of a foreign language, if you don't use it, your performance definitely deteriorates. So if a prospective employer was relying ONLY on an old IELTS, and the person couldn't prove they'd been regularly using English to an equivalent level, it could be sound advice to retest.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your cynical view may be right, skywatcher. ("I couldn't possibly comment.") But for any speaker of a foreign language, if you don't use it, your performance definitely deteriorates. So if a prospective employer was relying ONLY on an old IELTS, and the person couldn't prove they'd been regularly using English to an equivalent level, it could be sound advice to retest.
    You're right JandM, as always!!

That's something I keep telling my wife too. I don't tell her that it's just for a peaceful life though!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast