Thread: Skilled Migrant visa

Default Skilled Migrant visa

Just looking at all my options as want to resettle in NZ to be with my family-
    I can apply under my old job of communications - used to be in the armed forces for 20 years but since leaving became a facilities manager!
    Question -
    1 have 10+ years in communications + qualifications + job does appear on the skilled employment list - am I able to apply with this even though I have not worked in this role for 15 years and would be seeking employment as a facilities manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Turner View Post
    Just looking at all my options as want to resettle in NZ to be with my family-
    I can apply under my old job of communications - used to be in the armed forces for 20 years but since leaving became a facilities manager!
    Question -
    1 have 10+ years in communications + qualifications + job does appear on the skilled employment list - am I able to apply with this even though I have not worked in this role for 15 years and would be seeking employment as a facilities manager?
    Don't see why not if it gives you the points you need and an "in" to the SMC application process. You might get a job in the interim which would change the picture but it's worth checking out your points total.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your plans going forward.

I can see one problem that could arise. If you go for Skilled Migrant, eventually you're likely to be called for interview by the CO, to be assessed for likelihood of settling and employability. Are you going to be happy to tell him/her you're actively looking for communications work, the skill on your forms, when you're not? If as a result of the interview, you were not given Residence straight out, but WTR->Residence (that is, a Work visa allowing you nine months to find a job, and if you did, to convert to a Residence visa), that would ONLY apply to a skilled job using the skill mentioned on your ITA, i.e. communications. And/Or, if, while your application was under consideration, you got a job offer, that would normally help and accelerate your case, but not if it was for a job that didn't use the skill you've proved on your ITA.

How do you get on with points for your job as a facilities manager?

Default Points

Do not have any qualifications as a facilities manager and so that is the problem

Wife has a graduate certificate, works as a outpatients appointment manager for 2 hospitals, 10+ experience but cannot find a job on the skills occupations to match her job, we were thinking of matching her to office manager, not sure if that is allowed? We would have 120 if all were accepted.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

What do you mean by "communications" anyway? There are two ways of looking at this:
    1) telecommunications
    2) corporate communications (i.e. PR).

If it's the former, you may have enough in terms of qualifications/experience to get bonus points if your expertise falls under something on the LTSSL. That could get you above the 140-point threshold and selected from the pool without a job offer.

If it's the latter (my area of expertise) there's no bonus points and right now, if you don't have a job offer, or qualifications/experience on the LTSSL, 120 points won't get you picked.

I have seen recent changes to the Immigration Policy as well that suggests you have to have a job offer in order to get PR now.

Another option for you could be the Family stream. You say you want to join your family over here. How long have they been residents of NZ? (and by residents I mean full PR, not here on working/holiday visas). If they've been here 3+ years, they can sponsor you to come over. No qualification/experience/job offer is required. You have to pass the medical like everyone else.

Down side to this route is that the waiting period is around 18-24 months before your application will even be looked at, even if you submitted it tomorrow, as there is a limit on the number of applications they will take each year.

I have seen recent changes to the Immigration Policy as well that suggests you have to have a job offer in order to get PR now.
    Obviously, we're all still in the dark on this, till we see how it works out in practice, but I think the new ruling can be read as saying people won't automatically go through without a job offer, as they used to with certain qualifications and for certain professions. It may be that more people will be interviewed than previously.

Default Family

My daughter has another year before she can sponsor us and since there would be another 2 years or so to get through the process, we do not want to wait that long before starting a new life. I am 53 and do not feel that I have many years to find employment left.