Thread: Accountants & Financial Advisors

Question Accountants & Financial Advisors

With my flight now booked for November, I'm keen to make contact with some advisors (accountant/Financial Advisor) who have some expertise with migrants from the UK. Initially I'll just be looking for some advice concerning the financial aspects of the move, i.e. things to do with pensions and other investments whilst I'm still here in the UK and things to get right when I land in NZ.

Has anyone got any recommendations? Anyone to steer clear of? I understand that the industry has had a bit of a recent shake-up to improve things but this is one area that I don't want to get wrong.

Any pointers will be gratefully received

I know there is one Jo Jo recommends - try doing an Advanced Search. She has mentioned him quite recently.

The accountant I use is Martin Riley at Sterling Tax Services.

Thanks both.

Jo Jo, I note that you are in the Coromandel and Sterling are in Christchurch. I'm assuming that you haven't had the need to meet on a face to face basis?

I'm having a nightmare with my UK accountant not getting back to me in a timely fashion. Is Martin on hand for direct contact whenever you've needed him?

And Jo Jo, do you still use an accountant in the UK for that end of your financial affairs, or don't you find you need one? I wondered if Martin deals directly with UK matters (tax returns, etc.), or liaises with someone in the UK for that.

No, we haven't met face to face. We communicate by email, phone and post, and I post copies of all my paperwork down to him when needed. I find him very proactive and very helpful, and I've always been able to speak to him when necessary.

Martin deals with the UK end of things for me, J&M. I chose him specifically because he was able to do both the UK and NZ stuff.

Thanks for the info. I've got a good accountant in the UK, which is fine while I'm here, and for the fact that I'll continue to have UK property, but I don't imagine he'd know anything about NZ when it comes to that.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

teamplayer2003 on the Forum has helped me out with a number of queries I've sent his way and he's been a great source of information Set up my Kiwisaver and I will definitely use his services if/when we decide to move our UK pensions.

Appreciate your recommendation "Manks".

FYI, most accountants will not be able to offer financial advice, sounds crazy doesnt it, but the definition of financial advice according to the new act relates to class 1 products. Class 1 products include investments, pensions, kiwi saver.

Accountants can offer advice in regards to tax and business planning in relations to investment products you have established, but by definition of the new financial advisers act they will not be able to offer advice on class 1 products.

In many cases they will not be able to offer advice on class 2 products either (Insurance ect).

This is unless they have completed the additional necessary papers to do so and many of them have. They will quickly advise you if they cannot offer such advice.

Hope this information is helpful, any questions sing out.

Tim