Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car import saga

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    I have e-mailed the dealer in Shropshire and got a " are you serious??" reply.
    Latest today is that Customs are now ok with the car but the Bluetooth parrot kit is non standard and how much was that??
    They are asking you about stuff you've added to the car?

Yep
    Even needed to provide the invoice for the towbar as it was not on the original order form..

Jeez, have just contacted DVLA for advice on this...what a nightmare!

When it comes to cars and particularly importing them, NZ definitely suffers from 'little country' syndrome: they're definitely compensating for something!

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    Yep
    Even needed to provide the invoice for the towbar as it was not on the original order form..
    At least they have not noticed the 1/4 tank of fuel.

So maybe I am $'s in

All now ok - No GST and no Duty

Thank goodness for that! Did you have to work through all the tiny stuff, or did anyone at supervisor level realize it was all ridiculous and say, 'Give the man his car'?

As i've mentioned in the past (many posts in this forum) about importing and registering a car from overseas, it's not a simple process.

Level of corruption in NZ is very low and for this reason, it's because the gov't authorities like to dot the 'I's and cross the 'T's. Everything straight to the book.

Yep Even needed to provide the invoice for the towbar as it was not on the original order form..
    The registration process is very thorough. Inspectors don't like modifications and who's to say that the tow bar was installed by the owner in an improper manner? Their occupation alone takes on a huge risk - if a questionable vehicle slips and causes death, their jobs are at stake so there's a reason why they ask the origin of the installation and bill of sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12