Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car import saga

Default Car import saga

Heres one I never expected.

Moved over here in June from the UK and car has just arrived - nice and quick. All bio etc ok EXCEPT customs require me to prove that I paid for it!

I have the V5 which shows me as 1st owner, also have original order form with price and also my signed vehicle acceptance form which was completed on the day I collected the car - over 2 years ago.

They still will not accept that I have paid for it even though I am sure that no UK dealer would have let me drive away and then keep it for 2 years without payment?

They are not budging on this and will not release until I can provide the info.

Now this is not the end of the world as I am sure that given time I can get my bank and/or the garage to come up with the info but what would have happened if I had bought privately or even on EBay and used cash??

Sorry for the ramble but jussed a bit p** off as thought I had left petty stuff behind in the UK

Cheers

Ian

Never heard the like! As you say, what business would let you keep and use something for nothing, over all that time. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by ianrobbo View Post
    I have the V5 which shows me as 1st owner, also have original order form with price and also my signed vehicle acceptance form which was completed on the day I collected the car - over 2 years ago.
    To be fair the V5C form actually shows you as the registered keeper of the vehicle and not the owner.

To import a vehicle from the UK you need to provide...
    original documents that prove previous registration and provide an ownership trail that goes back to the previous registered owner of the vehicle in the country where the vehicle was last registered.
    It is the legal owner and not the registered keeper that can import / export a vehicle.

Ian

Just a thought. Would Customs be satisfied by an HPI check which can be done online from £5 upwards? It would be worth asking them.

Seems like you've come across a bit of a jobs-worth in the customs. I would have thought the paperwork you have would be enough, and certainly more than I provided for our two cars. I had this discussion with customs, they wanted proof of ownership and I explained that in the UK there is no such thing.

Anyway, I'm sure you have access to a printer so just produce the piece of paper they require and everyone will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I had this discussion with customs, they wanted proof of ownership and I explained that in the UK there is no such thing.
    I just showed them the contract with the dealer I bought it from, that did the trick.

Daniela

It's a nonsense really, the car could have been resold a dozen times since the date of your contract.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    It's a nonsense really, the car could have been resold a dozen times since the date of your contract.
    Yes, I didn't say it makes sense, but they said that's what they wanted to see, and that's what I showed them

Even better was that it was in German, I didn't have a translation but pointed to my name, the chassis number, and some Euro number.

Oh, and even better is that there is a document tracing the owners of German cars, a legal document that is proof of ownership, but they still wanted to see the contract. Go figure.

Daniela

You could always email the dealer you bought it from and ask for a copy of the invoice. We had our invoice, along with the V5 so did not have a problem. I would imagine, so long as the dealer is still in business, that they could provide this overnight.

I have e-mailed the dealer in Shropshire and got a " are you serious??" reply.
    Latest today is that Customs are now ok with the car but the Bluetooth parrot kit is non standard and how much was that??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast