Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been in Auckland for 1 week, so far so good...

Thumbs up Been in Auckland for 1 week, so far so good...

Well we have now been in New Zealand for 1 week, and so far we love it!!!

We arrived last Thursday, managed to stay awake and fight the jet lag. My partner started work on Monday and is really enjoying it, apart from the traffic. We have an fully furnished apartment in central Auckland for 3 months, then we will look for a longer term rent which will accommodate all our stuff. But I guess being in central Auckland for the World Cup will be pretty awesome!

I have had 2 interviews, and pending references have 2 offers of employment, so it's looking good. To be honest i'm not sure I could handle much more NZ T.V anyway, that is the only downside so far!

Have been looking at areas for longer term renting, as were renting our UK house. Need a nice area that isn't too far (in traffic) to Penrose and Green Lane??? Maybe Epsom, Elerslie, Mt Eden or Mt Wellington?? Any comments gratefully received. Originally we were going to look Howick way, but not sure if this is too far in traffic, although Howick village looked lovely when we visited last weekend.

Weather is quite nice, it was a bit chilly a few days ago but I feel it is warmer today and yesterday. I was sat in the sun yesterday waiting for a train when a lady in coat, gloves and a scarf sat next to me freezing, funny!!

Missing the Premier League and my beloved Aston Villa, but still sure we made the right move. Looking forward to the weekend to explore some more.

To everyone thinking of making the move do it, it was hard saying bye to family and friends but with Skype etc it is so easy to stay in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hols View Post
    Well we have now been in New Zealand for 1 week, and so far we love it!!!

We arrived last Thursday, managed to stay awake and fight the jet lag. My partner started work on Monday and is really enjoying it, apart from the traffic. We have an fully furnished apartment in central Auckland for 3 months, then we will look for a longer term rent which will accommodate all our stuff. But I guess being in central Auckland for the World Cup will be pretty awesome!

I have had 2 interviews, and pending references have 2 offers of employment, so it's looking good. To be honest i'm not sure I could handle much more NZ T.V anyway, that is the only downside so far!

Have been looking at areas for longer term renting, as were renting our UK house. Need a nice area that isn't too far (in traffic) to Penrose and Green Lane??? Maybe Epsom, Elerslie, Mt Eden or Mt Wellington?? Any comments gratefully received. Originally we were going to look Howick way, but not sure if this is too far in traffic, although Howick village looked lovely when we visited last weekend.

Weather is quite nice, it was a bit chilly a few days ago but I feel it is warmer today and yesterday. I was sat in the sun yesterday waiting for a train when a lady in coat, gloves and a scarf sat next to me freezing, funny!!

Missing the Premier League and my beloved Aston Villa, but still sure we made the right move. Looking forward to the weekend to explore some more.

To everyone thinking of making the move do it, it was hard saying bye to family and friends but with Skype etc it is so easy to stay in touch.

Good to hear things are going well. Good friends of ours live in Glen eden, seems nice area, good leisure centre nearby, plenty of shops etc.

Thanks for the tip, il have a look at Geln Eden on trade me. Ta

[quote=Hols;420470]Missing the Premier League and my beloved Aston Villa.../quote]You may watch them live this Sunday and a replay later in the week http://www.skytv.co.nz/tv-guide-search.aspx?category=Programs&search=aston+villa

Thanks for the tip, il have a look at Geln Eden on trade me. Ta
    Not super handy for Penrose or Greenlane, though.

I think Ellerslie is fine if you don't need schools and Mt Eden is too expensive, otherwise I'd normally go for Mt Eden.

How does your OH commute? From Central Auckland to Penrose or Greenlane should be a doddle, really.

Daniela

Hi Daniela,

He drives to work, which he says is really busy. It took him 1 hour to get home yesterday and its only 20 mins without traffic, mad!! I'm sure well figure something out. Good tips about the areas tho, cheers.

Hi Ralf,

That's great, I will take a look at your link, many thanks!!!!

He drives to work, which he says is really busy. It took him 1 hour to get home yesterday and its only 20 mins without traffic, mad!! I'm sure well figure something out.
    Train? Bus? Bike? I think you could probably walk there in an hour!

Good luck with improving the commute,

Daniela

Well done - we've only been here for a couple of weeks as well. Have you looked at trains? Not sure about the Eastern line, but the western certainly runs through Mt Eden/Kingsland etc - might be worth a look. Someone told me Kingsland is quite nice?

Glad to hear youre enjoying it (apart from the NZ TV that is!). Hope the job hunting goes wall and you get some accomodation sorted soon. :O)

excellent post glad ur enjoying it
    we are still in the pr process - hopefully will b out there in the next cpl of months
    We are looking to live in Howick but our jobs arent in Auckland city so not so bad 4 a communte to Manakau

Wishing u all the best in ur new lives x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast