Thread: Getting residency while in uni- eligibility for US loans

Default Getting residency while in uni- eligibility for US loans

Has anyone here been attending university using US student loans, then gotten residency and started paying domestic fees? Were you still eligible for US student loans?

I've spent the past hour looking up student and program eligibility requirements for US student loans and I'm finding NOTHING regarding this issue.
    I am assuming the following:
    1. since I am not giving up my US citizenship I, as a student, am still eligible for student loans (since I find nothing to the contrary)
    2.Since my program is currently eligible for me to receive student loans it would remain so even if I am paying domestic fees (I would just be eligible for less loans because it costs less).

Any experiences? Thoughts? Advice?

(I really wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this question in- it encompasses money matters, education, and immigration!)

No helpful knowledge to offer, just good luck wishes.

Thanks JandM. It's an interesting situation, I'll have to ask at the financial aid office at Massey I think.

Allrighty. Due to illness I'm not heading to lectures today, so I sent an email to the financial aid officer of my uni asking about this.

I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Well the answer is- so long I am still a US citizen I am still eligible for US loans. This changes things a bit.

I hope it makes life easier for you - might make quite a difference to your future, I imagine.