Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: study visa question about funds

Default study visa question about funds

We are looking into my husband applying for a study visa (since we obviously will not get the SMV since I did not manage to get a job from abroad). I have researched and made phone calls to immigration and to Auckland University and sent a lot of emails and still can't get a straight answer regarding funds. I am really hoping someone who went on a study visa or someone who knows this area can answer.

According to immigration, when applying for a study visa you need to show you've paid for the 1st year of fees (which obviously would be international fees) before you get the visa. Now my question is has anyone ever paid the university fees and then gotten denied the student visa (our medicals are fine so we're only concerned we might get denied if they don't feel the funds we have are enough)? What happens to the entire year of funds you've paid the university if you don't get the visa?

We know we have enough money to show for my husband, but we don't know if we have enough to show for me as well (I would aim to get a Working Visa under the category since my husband will apply for a degree under a short term category, level 7 or 8 which allows the partner to get a working visa).

Another question is how strict is immigration on having the funds if both of us are to go. We know we can manage with what we have since I know I can land a job once there (I know that can't be used as an excuse to immigration, but that is how we know we will manage).

Any advice would be appreciated.

I unfortunately can't answer your questions but have to admire your tenacity in all this Millesverige.

Good luck with everything and I hope you find the route into NZ you are obviously so keen on.

You can ask university about refund, usually public sector institutes refund you but you need to check how much they will deduct. As to private college/university, they try to keep your money.

I think there is a minimum threshold for living expenses set by immigration and as long as you reach to that figure, they don't refuse. I even saw a student in Palmerston North banking money in his account to get the statement printed and next hour taking it out to give it back to the person he borrowed from.

I hope this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Millesverige View Post
    Now my question is has anyone ever paid the university fees and then gotten denied the student visa (our medicals are fine so we're only concerned we might get denied if they don't feel the funds we have are enough)? What happens to the entire year of funds you've paid the university if you don't get the visa?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Don't know how strict they are but immigration staff at Palmerston North are the nicest ever I met anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by rizjunior; 21st August 2011 at 12:02 PM.

I can't say for Auckland University but AUT has very clear guidelines on refunds (see below which is a quote from the AUT website). You should be able to get similar information from Auckland University. Try to contact someone in the international student's office at the university. They are usually the ones that know the most about the policies. I even found the staff at AUT's international office often had a clearer understanding of immigration policies than the NZ Immigration Ministry staff.

From AUT's policy
    "A full refund of fees will be issued in the event of a student failing to obtain a student permit/visa, provided:
    a. the refund application is received by the Registry within 7 days of the student receiving notification from Immigration New Zealand (INZ) that their visa has been declined; and
    b. the student has not commenced study for the relevant period, and
    c. a copy of the letter from INZ declining the student’s visa."

MilleandMe - Thank you! That was a huge help. We have called many times asking to speak to someone who could help with international student questions. When my husband finally gets someone on the phone, they ask him to email his questions. When he then has emailed the questions, they have avoided answering that one. However, maybe now we'll take a chance and only email that one question so there won't be any confusion amongst his other questions. We're so afraid to fork out that kind of money and then risk losing it - it just doesn't seem reasonable that it could happen, but need to know for sure.

Thank you Skywatcher - your post made me smile. I'm still sending out my cv's to schools hiring 2012 and hoping someone gets back to me after their deadline. If we don't go for the student visa, we will plan a holiday when I get my next summer holidays (June 2012), stay there for the few months and go looking for a job, spend time at some schools/centres and hope something can work that way. I just don't know how it works if you're there as a visitor and manage to land a job. I'm guessing you have to go back to your own country first, then start the visa process?

rizjunior - thanks for you notes. I haven't read anywhere (which is what I was trying to see on the forum) about anyone losing a whole year's worth of international fees if they were denied the visa. I was thinking if it happened people would be writing about it since it's a crazy amount of money. You are right, there is a minimum amount of money. When immigration asks to see the funds are they taking out the flight fee before seeing if you meet their threshold? We might make it (barely) if they don't calculate the cost of the flight to NZ (and home at a later date).

Thanks so much all for the advice!

I just don't know how it works if you're there as a visitor and manage to land a job. I'm guessing you have to go back to your own country first, then start the visa process?
    No, not usually, not unless your visitor visa is going to run out. Even then, if you have a valid application for a work visa in, and you've done everything you should, not left everything hanging before you applied, INZ will usually work round things to help you.

JandM - I'm just thinking here if we decide to go next summer (2012) and spend the summer holidays in NZ and I find a place that would like to hire me, would I then put in a work application (as well as an EOI at the same time) while in NZ? Where would all the paperwork be sent as you need to put your home address or would we use the temporary address we would be staying at in NZ? Would we then do the medical part in NZ? I guess it would at least mean when going there to be prepared and have all police certificates and all the documents we used this time with us (with the exception of the medical since I think that will not be valid?)

JandM - I'm just thinking here if we decide to go next summer (2012) and spend the summer holidays in NZ and I find a place that would like to hire me, would I then put in a work application (as well as an EOI at the same time) while in NZ?
    Yes.

Where would all the paperwork be sent as you need to put your home address or would we use the temporary address we would be staying at in NZ?
    You would send to the nearest office of INZ, in New Zealand, using your NZ address current at the time (and updating them as necessary).

Would we then do the medical part in NZ?
    Yes.

I guess it would at least mean when going there to be prepared and have all police certificates and all the documents we used this time with us (with the exception of the medical since I think that will not be valid?)
    Yes, again. The medical has to be no more than three months old at time of submission. You may get away with using the same police certificates again, or you may not. See Section A5.10. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm

Thank you! Great help and I just wish the university would answer questions using the same type of format you just used since then you clearly see all questions answered

You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast