Thread: Tips on Interview Answers (Not about questions)

Default Tips on Interview Answers (Not about questions)

Hi,

I know there lots of threads about the possible questions that CO might ask during interview and it's been very useful so far in my preparation.

After taking notes and preparing my answers to those questions my girlfriend and I did a mock interview just to check how prepared I am (I know I should relax and be spontaneous but mind block is the last thing I want during interview :S). She said that it sounded like I was reading from something (like wikipedia, etc.) and it didn't sound natural at all! I was bothered with she said, but appreciate it of course , and made me realize it's not enough to know the answer but also to appear genuine and true to what I will say.

For those who've gone through the interview, any tips on how to answer the questions correctly?

The questions aren't there to give right / wrong answers. And the answers will have to be your own. It's important for oyu to answer them honestly as they are all about how you'll settle. No point in giving someone elses' answer as if you are that far off base in terms of ability to get a job / settle then finding out at interview is a lot better for you!

My guess is that your written prepared answers are in the form of full sentences. When someone has done this, they tend to glance at the paper and speak what was written down - this is what gives the unnatural impression, because spoken language and written language are different.

There is a way round this. You've done your preparation, so you KNOW the information you will give and the points you will make in answer to any question. Now make yourself some really short notes, with only words or phrases to remind you - no full sentences. That way, when you check your paperwork, you will automatically have to form your answer then, that minute, and you'll sound like you, not as if you're reading from some written source. It doesn't matter if you pause for thought, or go back on an idea - that's what genuine conversation is.

That's a great advice.. I will definitely do that!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    My guess is that your written prepared answers are in the form of full sentences. When someone has done this, they tend to glance at the paper and speak what was written down - this is what gives the unnatural impression, because spoken language and written language are different.

There is a way round this. You've done your preparation, so you KNOW the information you will give and the points you will make in answer to any question. Now make yourself some really short notes, with only words or phrases to remind you - no full sentences. That way, when you check your paperwork, you will automatically have to form your answer then, that minute, and you'll sound like you, not as if you're reading from some written source. It doesn't matter if you pause for thought, or go back on an idea - that's what genuine conversation is.

Hi anonimoose,

The interview is indeed stressful. But they're put there with good intention to both parties. When I prepared for my interview, I did a lot of soul-searching. No answer is one size fits all for anyone. It depends on the individual's situation. Btw, I did not read from any notes during my interview. If you treat the interview as a good intention, then you will answer them honestly and it will come very naturally to you. That's my advice. All the best in your interview!

Thanks so much coconut88.

I've been having sleepless nights just thinking about it and I still have about 2 weeks to go.. I guess it's going to be the longest 2 weeks of my life :S

Good luck on the interview when it does come up!