Thread: can two old dogs be shipped in same crate?

Question can two old dogs be shipped in same crate?

Hi, just thought of this so thought I'd ask... my two golden retrievers spend every minute of their lives together and it seemed kinder to pop them in the same crate for transportation. Is this acceptable? Has anybody done it? Would it be extortionately expensive because of the size of crate required?
    Thanks in advance

I am not defintite on this but I think I saw somewhere that certain animals can be shipped in the same crate but the only thing is the size of the crate. I just shipped(last week) our older 60 lb lab in a large crate (L 400) and they made us change it for a larger one to the tune of 476 dollars (US), the being the USDA.

Good luck

It may have changed since last time I flew my animals (12 years ago) but at that time animals absolutely were not allowed to share a crate.

I was also told that my two couldn't be shipped in the same crate.

It would have to be a MASSIVE crate to fit the IATA regulations having two golden retrievers in there.

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/l...ages/pets.aspx

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

IATA's rules are very specific. Two animals may travel together but must be either a) under six months old and litter mates; or b) under 14kg each.
    http://blog.petrelocation.com/blog/p...te-when-flying

Ooh... out on both counts they're 8 and 10 years old and between 28 and 32 kg each. We once popped them in boarding kennels while we went on hol and they shared a cell. Nothing like flying to a new country but that's where I got my idea from - shame really, they'd cope better together. Thanks everyone.

Ah thats a shame, I am shipping our 2 cats and our compromise is a crate with a divider and 1 each side. They are brother and sister and get on reasonably well but do occasionally fight so we thought this was the best way of doing it so they would hopefuly be aware of the presence of the other animal but not be able to take their frustrations out on each other!

As mentioned above this is most likely not possible with large dogs, however perhaps they can make sure their crates are put next to each other so they can hopefully still smell each other on the journey?

Good luck, I don't know about you but I am more nervous about transporting the 'fur-kids' than anything else!!

We shipped our two labradors out to NZ from the UK, in June. I was worried sick at the thought of the pre-journey kenneling and the fact that they had NEVER been apart since birth - they were brothers from the same litter - and would not be allowed to share a container.

We used Golden Arrow - who were totally fab - and who we cannot recommend highly enough. We actually went to their kennels to view (totally fab) and they showed us their crates. They are much larger than you expect them to be. Also if you use a good pet shipper they make sure the paperwork says that the crates are to be kept side-by-side at all times.

I didn't sleep a wink on the days I knew they were in transit (the dogs were scheduled to arrive a week after us) and I kept hassling the man behind the MAF counter to hurry up and hand them over!

But when I saw them - although they went bananas when they recognised me - they looked fresh and happy, not at all traumatised as I had imagined they would be.

So use a good pet shipper who knows what they are doing - that way you will have piece of mind. It is very expensive - but I wouldn't have skimped on this bit of our move. NZ is a great place to have dogs!

you can ask that the crates be kept side by side. they won't generally allow them to be shipped together as if anything happens ( through stress or something) and they scrap and get hurt then they have to open the crate and you are then up for quarentine. thats why they have to have their collars off and you are limited to what you can put in the crate too. If the seal on the door is broken when it arrives here then its quarentine.