Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: self sufficiency... well partial anyway ;-)

Smile self sufficiency... well partial anyway ;-)

Hi
    I've searched for related topics but not found what I'm looking for... I'd like to be able to grow a good chunk of our fruit and veg (but I'm not expecting to be able to manage full self sufficiency due to kids/life etc)
    What I'd like to know is are any of you managing it?
    Can you grow a good variety?
    We're looking at the middle chunk of North Island for a property.
    That Wanted Down Under programme once showed a visit to a market with humongous size strawberries but I couldn't find out if they we're grown in super heated watered greenhouse factory thingy etc.
    Anything shared appreciated x

There are lots of people on the forum who grow a lot of their fruit and vegetables, and when you're there, you see boards outside people's gates where they're selling off the surplus. Do a search and you should find old mentions of gardening. I remember a whole thread - I'll have a hunt, too.

I (in the middle of winter) have in my garden:
    broccoli, leeks, onions, broad beans, beetroot and spinach

My potted herbs include:
    rosemary, thyme, chives, sage, basil, coriander, parsley, mint

and we have a lemon tree

Mind you I live in a tiny flat with a (totally guessing) 50 sq metre backyard.

You might want to check out: http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/index.php

I'm just starting on my garden this year as it's taken this long to get a place of our own. The previous owners grew heaps. We're in Cambridge with a quarter acre section and if I wanted to (read, could be bothered!) I'm quite sure we'd be able to be near to self sufficient in fruit and veg from it- look for somewhere with established fruit trees ideally. Here you can grow everything- it's amazing!

PS- don't forget you want a NORTH facing garden here ideally

Ha the North facing garden throws me sometimes until I remember! Cheers everyone, I've got some good stuff to go on there ;-)

We have no garden to speak of in our current rental, but have a 9m sq deck so we are severely limited compared to other places we've lived. However we currently have large plastic troughs on our deck and a few buckets. We are right now growing 2 varieties of rosemary, huge quantities of flat leaf parsey, chives, garlic chives, potatoes, beans (of some sort - brought home from school), spring onions and spinach. In the summer we also grow mesclun salad mix in buckets, rocket, basil, coriander and mint (which I don't grow over winter as it invades all bare soil in the containers). We also have a small lemon tree, and for the last 11 months I've harvested about 6-8 ripe lemons every 6 weeks or so. I keep a worm farm in my garage, so refresh the soil nutrients in the tubs with worm wee and worm casts every few weeks.

It is very common for people to grow at least some sort of foodstuff here...the high UV levels make it an optimal environment for many seasonal veggies & fruits. Our Asian neighbours aren't the slightest bit interested in gardening, but even they grow their own chillies in a pot on their deck because they are ridiculously expensive to buy in the supermarket.

Happy Gardening

Thanks. I watched a tv prog not related to emigrating, but the presenter had just had a hol and the locals there gave him a 'treat' of boiled cabbage. A treat because veg of most desriptions were hard to grow, which lead me into creating this forum.... strange how my mind works xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast