Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: You've got to be kidding - Marton

Default You've got to be kidding!

Hi All,

As you'll know we've been looking at the Manawatu as somewhere to settle.

We've pretty much sacked living in places like foxton and shannon after rumours of drug dealing. However we also found some lovely houses in somewhere called marton. Strangely marton is named after the birthplace of James Cook, which is about 2 miles from where we live, here in Middlesbrough.

Anyway, we found their towns website......and I'm scared.

No honestly, it seems so isolated (and dare I say...backwards?). The prices of houses are great and the houses do look very nice, but....well has anyone seen Children of the Corn, or read much Steven King?

I don't think it has helped for me to be sat here looking at the town whilst listening to More FM Manawatu (if you thinkthe radio in your area is lame, you've got to try this one one the web....no other milk will cock a doodle do!).

There are villages in North Yorkshire which are maintained to look like Marton, ie living in the countryside 60 years in the past.

Anyway, just got a bit freaked, I'm sure the place won't look so freaky once we go and visit it.

It may turn out to be too far from Palmy to commute anyway.

Anyone been there?

Sorry I can't help out but Linda, I have to LOL at the Children of the Corn reference! Reminds me of the time we were diverted from a main highway to some country back roads because of an accident and as we were winding through we passed a family sitting by the side of the road...on their old living room furniture. Bought to mind the old Jeff Foxworth joke, "You know you're a redneck when the furniture on your lawn used to be in your living room."

Emily

I guess what I'm really asking with this thread is : Is there enough to keep your 2 kids occupied in these small towns, and would you enjoy living out of the way or would you just get sick of travelling into somewhere a little more significant to have a bit of fun or do something?

I know that this all depends upon the individuals concerned, but I would be interested to find out if anyone has had or is currently living this sort of lifestyle?

Paul

I think it will depend on what your kids are like.
    Some kids will find interesting things to do and enjoy where they are regardless of how remote or isloated they are and some will be bored even if they are in the middle of everything....

The small little villages and groups of buildings that are dotted around the countryside are amazing. They are like traveling back in time to a quieter, clamer time almost a different way of life, which is a good thing (IMO) and one of the reasons I moved over here to get back to those kind of traditional values that my parents tried to bring me up by.
    In my experience (the ones down here in the very southern part of the south isle) are friendly and welcoming.

I think itsvery hard to decide where exactly to live while still in the UK when you can only go by pictures on the web and word of mouth.
    My advise would be try and stay as flexiable as you can and wait till you get here and get a real feel for places, as you never know what seems 'on paper' is a sure thing may not be and somewhere that was 'poohed poohed' in theory maybe be perfect.

:smile

Paul

see my thread entiled "Dannevirke"

Jo

Default Re: You've got to be kidding!

Sorry, can't help you, but I'll be interested in anything you find out. I'll be landing in Palmy in February or so, probably looking to rent in the outskirts.

Marton looks like a good deal, but that area's just shown up under Manawatu on the real estate sites in the past couple of months. I'm not sure it's actually considered Manawatu -- not that that makes a difference, but it may indicate that it's pretty far/inconvenient to Palmy. I've been browsing RealNZ for about a year looking to get an idea for the market.

I want to live in Bunnythorpe, but just because I think it's the funniest/sweetest town name. :mrgreen:

Frommy recolections of driving past Palmy on my way to Levin, Marton is not very far away at all. 30 mins maybe. I don't know much about it except to say that they was a double homicide there a couple of months back - but they caught the bloke.
    Look drugs are available in all the towns in NZ - I wouldn't let that put you off particularly.
    As for things to do - well that depends doesn't it on what they and you like to do. Outdoorsie things a plenty - not so much shopping malls etc

Default Resources

Paul and Linda,

I have been frequenting these two sites for more stimulating conversation than my American counterparts seem to be able to offer these days. Jan is the moderator, I have been "friends" with her (although I have not met her in person yet) for almost a year now.

Jan is as cool as they come, and she lives in Manawatu. Consider visiting http://nzfc.11.forumer.com/index.php and "Grumpytart" is her screen name. Tell her Leosus/ Susan from Kansas/ USA sent you. Another great site to get a feel for farm people is http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/ . This website not only has an awesome forum, but loads of good info if you are considering a lifestyle block life.

From hanging out for sometime in these forum areas I was rather delighted to find the opposite of what I feel the USA Redneck (and sometimes farmer) is like. The people in this forum for the most part are liberal, bright, and educated. There are a few that are scary, but that can be said for anyone anywhere.

They are even planning two huge get togethers (parties)- one for the entire North Island LSBers, and one for the South Island LSBers. (LSB= Lifestyle Block). You may want to get in on the Northland one, heck the people I have befriended on the forums even asked me to come! Such great people, I am exited at the chance of having them as peers, and neighbors.

Just my 2 cents.

Susan

Hi Paul & Al,

I was the one who commented on Shannon & Foxton being not so desirable areas (in the Manawatu thread). We had heard from people we've got to know here that it would not be their choice for settling down. We had visited there before hearing these comments and did not get a good feeling either. That said, you might really like these areas and I would hate to think that you wouldn't look into further just because of my comments or other people's comments for that matter.

It is really hard to decide where you are going to settle down from the other side of the world. Work will probably have the last word for many of us on where to live, but if you have a chance, take a couple of months to travel around the country. It is really worth it if you can.

The Manawatu region has a lot to offer (and it remains one of the cheapest places to buy land or a house), but there are lots of other places that you never ever considered that you might really like during such a trip.

Also, if during your travels you find job postings that might be of interest to you, just call the employer a few days before and ask them if you could drop by and have a chat. Kiwis are very relaxed and sometimes Rob even showed up unannounced and there was always somebody available to give him more info.

By the way, Marton is in the Rangitikei area and will be listed as such in real estate links.

Good luck with everything!

Sandrine

Thanks Sandrine, I also go on the general feel of places and as such hold a lot of sway in other peoples feelings. I am hoping that after all our hopping round the north island in search of jobs and a life that we can settle on the manawatu.

I agree that there aredrugs in every town, but if somewhere is seen as a particular problem I would certainly try to avoid it.

I willbe renting for 6 months on arrival, but would like to rent in the area that I will be buying (bit hopeful there) to get a feel for the area.

We'll be in a b and b for a week or so to give us a chance to drive around and maybe have a meal in each of these places and even venture into the local pubs.

Overall though I strongly believe that chance favours the prepared mind and if you fail to plan you plan to fail. Hence my incessant querying.

I have also contacted the manawatu police and will be talking to them again on monday to get better feel for the area.

Overall though I guess I'm just using this info to try and calm my nerves and get my mind used to the idea of living so far away from all that we are used to.

It's funny, last night on the radio (more fm manawatu) the presenters were taking the mick out of a lady who phoned up for a competitiion.

She was clearly from the UK and they made her say lines from Thomas The Tank Engine.....and when she did they were howling!

So strange to be the odd one out, for a while anyway.

Paul

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast