Thread: Temp Residence Visa

Default Temp Residence Visa

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you do not meet the 6 mths in a yr requirement while holding on to a temp resident visa?

If you leave nz, but return before the expiry date stated in the visa - what happens then? Does it mean that i can still get to stay in nz as long as i like but not allow to apply for permanent visa?

I finally got my resident visa but now may have to face a tough decision abt staying.

Quote Originally Posted by lioncub View Post
    If you leave nz, but return before the expiry date stated in the visa - what happens then? Does it mean that i can still get to stay in nz as long as i like but not allow to apply for permanent visa?
    That is my understanding yes; from reading but not based on - the same - experience.

BTW: One does not need to apply for 'permanent' permanent residence as long as one doesn't leave the country.

You need to look here.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm

You would need to apply for a variation of travel conditions if you haven't qualified for Permanent Residence, are then back in NZ, and want to travel outside the country once more. How long a second lot of travel conditions will be granted for depends on how long you have been in the country in the preceding two years.

Hi, JandM
    When activating the residence visa in NZ, will the Immigration officer in NZ at the same time issue a RRV(return residence visa) which expire 2 years from the date of first entry? Will they issue a RRV with time period which less than 2 years? Please advise.
    THank you!

The terminology changed last November when the latest Immigration Act came into force. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../residence.htm

These days, whichever way you apply for it (Skilled Migrant, Family Category, WTR from within NZ, after having a LTBV for a couple of years...), the first 'forever' visa you get is called Residence, with travel conditions that last two years. This USED TO BE called Permanent Residence with a Returning Resident's Visa. After two years, if you have established commitment to NZ (various ways, but most frequently, spending half the time or more of each of those two years after activating the visa in NZ), you NOW are awarded Permanent Residence, which doesn't need any travel conditions. This USED TO BE called Permanent Residence with an Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa.

It's so much easier now with the change. It was really confusing with all the different terms b4. Thanks JandM for the link.

ralf-nz, you mentioned that there is no need to apply for 'permanent' permanent residence if you don't leave the country. That wasn't what i was told by my officer.

Good luck Takazhi!

ralf-nz, you mentioned that there is no need to apply for 'permanent' permanent residence if you don't leave the country. That wasn't what i was told by my officer.
    I seem to remember that this is a change that was brought in by the new Act last November - I can't check my memory at the moment as the INZ website is unavailable.