Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uclerative collitis and renal failure

Default uclerative collitis and renal failure

we are just about to submit our visa's for a working visa, the plan is to move to NZ for a couple of years
    we are applying under my job, as a midwife
    my OH has ulcerative colitis, no regular meds, just prednisalone for flare ups, which have been more frequent in the past year
    he also has slowly progressive chronic renal failure, he takes 2 different meds to control his blood pressure.
    he is fit and well, 46, swims and cycles reguarly and on the outside seems a very well person
    I have looked at a few threads but pick up mixed vibes about what our chances maybe
    any thoughts/comments would be appreciated
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by the Gib two View Post
    we are just about to submit our visa's for a working visa, the plan is to move to NZ for a couple of years
    we are applying under my job, as a midwife
    my OH has ulcerative colitis, no regular meds, just prednisalone for flare ups, which have been more frequent in the past year
    he also has slowly progressive chronic renal failure, he takes 2 different meds to control his blood pressure.
    he is fit and well, 46, swims and cycles reguarly and on the outside seems a very well person
    I have looked at a few threads but pick up mixed vibes about what our chances maybe
    any thoughts/comments would be appreciated
    Sally
    From what you advise regarding your OH's conditions this will almost certainly be referred to the NZI Medical Advisors. Chances are that you may have to apply for a medical waiver where you will effectively have to make a case that your "contribution" to NZ would outweigh any burden that might be placed on the NZ Health System consequential to any complications associated with your OH's medical conditions in the future. This will likely entail additional costs associated with further medical test, referrals and reports notwithstanding the additional time and stress. However, many people have gone through the visa application process with quite serious medical conditions and have eventually made the move to NZ having successfully obtained a medical waiver.

It's a real toughie and unfortunately no one can provide any guarantees of success in the process. All you can do is steel yourselves for what will undoubtedly be some difficult days and months ahead and just give it a go.

Good luck and all the best for yours and your OH's futures.

I agree with what skywatcher says.

All the best.

thanks for the comments
    it was as we thought really and know that what is said here is just thoughts and experiences
    its in the hands of immigration and what will be will be
    is there more cost if we go for medical waiver, does this take awhile?
    we have sent letters from his GP and consultant regarding his care and recent blood tests as well as those from the medical
    I read somewhere that if your visa is declined you cant even go for a holiday is that right?
    thanks
    again

There is no set procedure for going for a medical waiver, as there is for the visas, etc.. For most people it applies to, the medical is refused, then their CO says, 'Your only option now is to apply for a waiver.' As skywatcher has already said, this consists of pleading your case on the grounds of the contribution that you can make to NZ potentially outweighing the burden your health might be. There's not a fee for doing this - I think anything you may have heard about extra costs would be down to having to pay for extra consultations and tests to support your submission.

Here http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&aqi=&aql=&oq= are some old threads with other people's stories.

I don't know of any reason why you wouldn't be able to visit NZ on a holiday if you don't get a residence visa, as long as you come within these regulations. http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&aqi=&aql=&oq=

thanks JandM, do you know what timescales people have had from submiting visa's, going to the MA and the the waiver?
    any rough idea would be helpful, my contract here ends in early March 2012 but I am supposed to let them know my intention to stay or not in early Dec
    do you think we are less likely to have problems as we dont want permenant residency just a couple of years?
    thanks

There's no general rule. When medicals get referred, it's such an individual thing because of each person's own problems, and then what details a particular MA asks for, and how long a doctor takes to do a report for them, and then maybe the MA asks for more information, etc., etc., there's no mileage in assuming that what happened to them will necessarily happen to you.

Actually, you ARE less likely to have problems as you are only going for a temporary entry class visa. The health requirements are set out here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/

A4.15 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for temporary entry class visas)

Applicants for temporary entry class visas must have an acceptable standard of health, unless they have been granted a visitor visa for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment (see V3.40) or have been granted a medical waiver (see A4.65).
    Applicants for temporary entry class visas to New Zealand are considered to have an acceptable standard of health if they are:
    unlikely to be a danger to public health; and
    unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services during their period of intended stay in New Zealand; and
    (if they are under 21 years of age and are applying for a student visa) unlikely to qualify for Ongoing Resourcing Schemes (ORS) funding during their period of intended stay in New Zealand; and
    able to undertake the work or study on the basis of which they are applying for a visa, or which is a requirement for the grant of the visa.
    A4.15.1 Assessment of whether an applicant for a temporary entry class visa is unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services

Assessment of whether an applicant for a temporary entry class visa is likely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services will take into account whether there is a relatively high probability that the applicant will need publicly funded health services during their period of stay in New Zealand including, but not limited to:

hospitalisation;
    residential care;
    high cost pharmaceuticals;
    high cost disability services.
    Note: Residential care is long term care provided in a live-in facility such as an aged-person's facility or a facility for people with a physical, sensory, intellectual or psychiatric disability.

Note: Applicants who intend to give birth in New Zealand are not considered to have an acceptable standard of health as it is likely they will impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services.
    A4.15.5 Requirement to refer Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificates

If an immigration officer is not initially satisfied that an applicant for a temporary entry class visa has an acceptable standard of health, they must refer the matter to an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor for assessment (or Ministry of Education where appropriate).
    Notwithstanding the requirement to refer Medical and Chest X-Ray Certificates, as set out in (a) above, where a person falls within the provisions of A4.65.5, referral to an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor is not required.

well our visa's have now been posted and should now be at NZ house, so the wait begins.....
    how does it generally work? will we get an email to say they have received them or just when they are allocated to an officer for processing?

hi, i know this is an old thread but may i know how did you application go? i too have been diagnosed with colitis and kinda worried that my work visa will be declined for it.... sigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast