Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 Week In - Christchurch Stylee...

Good luck RR and missus!!

I started a new job last Monday, and one of my colleagues was telling me similar stories about property sales at the moment.. their original house is now red zoned, so they (along with many others in that position) started seriously house-hunting as soon as the announcement was made.

In one case they and 2 other couples decided to put in full asking price offers within an hour of viewing a house - the owner, presumably very pleased, gave them all his preferred completion date and said that if they were willing to agree to that date could they get back to him by COB with their very best offer.

I am so very VERY glad that we got sorted before the quakes.. it was so close that sometimes I boggle rather than grinning madly.

One of my rental applications has just been rejected by text message late on Sunday. Our bid could hardly have been faulted (professional, non-smoking, good references etc.). I can only imagine that the people who won that property promised not to live there but instead employ Terence Conran to tastefully arrange the furniture once a week.

Who'd have thought that owning property in sleepy suburbs would turn into such a cash cow?

Contacted an ex-forumite who had a small holiday apartment to let to friends and family in the hope it may be vacant for you but unfortunately it is now permanently occupied.
    Do hope something turns up soon. (Name is Joanne, in case any other forumite suggests trying her!)

Good luck!

Thanks babscat that was very thoughtful. Just getting ready for my first day at the new job. If we can't find a rental by the end of the week then we'll go for plan B.

RR

Good Post..

Hope you do find something soon..

Good update, I hope you find something soon.

Great read. Reminds me of the initial frustrations in renting for the first time in Christchurch. As much as it's frustrating here, we lived for 6 months in Sydney and it's 1000 times worse there. At least you're taking the positives from your experience.
    Welcome to Christchurch!

4 years ago we had to find a short term rental, 6 weeks, till we moved into newly purchased house and ended up in a converted garage Was pretty cold on the frosty days....

Have to say the agent who sold the house to us was very helpful with setting us up with the letting side of here firm.

Again good luck this week

Some superb advice, and glad I read it - about to accept a job in Christchurch (flew down today - they gazumped another job offer at the last moment), and was presuming it would be easy to find a property.

I'm prepared to go to 550per week which should surely help secure something....

wow! This is such a great read, we are only 9 weeks away from arriving in Christchurch now and we have been scanning trade me almost every day for properties, so to get this sort of advice is really really helpful and will most certainly prevent us from wasting any precious time when we arrive! Thank you! x

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast