Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1 Week In - Christchurch Stylee...

Breakthrough! Signed a 12 month lease on a rental property within 30 minutes walk of my office. It's a "character" property so the kitchen and bathroom are pretty basic, but it's a stand-alone house with garden, garage, heat pump and situated in a quiet neighbourhood. We move in on Saturday and as it's unfurnished we'll literally be camping there until we get some furniture. At least sleeping on a yoga mat is great for the back.

The funny thing is that a couple of days ago we missed out on a rental that was higher rent, further from the shops and overall less suited to us. Yet I would have taken it in an instant had it been available.

There's an almost child-like sense of excitement at the prospect of having our own little place no matter how basic it might be. We'll quickly make it a home and settle in.

Cherry, glad my notes were of help to you. I think some of the agony we went through was self imposed by attempting to get a job and a rental in the first week after arrival. I think a more realistic schedule for property hunting would allow you to reject the "almost" suitable properties and also allow you to develop realistic expectations.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by edw123 View Post
    I'm prepared to go to 550per week which should surely help secure something....
    There are more renters than there are properties at all price levels. However, the range I was looking in ($350 - $450) does seem to be super competitive. So much so that agents and landlords do not need to return your calls. Your budget of $550 will give you a little more leverage. You will get a perfectly acceptable property at that price, but you'll need to manage yourself carefully and remain objective in what can be time-pressured decisions to get one that is right for you.

RR

Cherry, glad my notes were of help to you. I think some of the agony we went through was self imposed by attempting to get a job and a rental in the first week after arrival. I think a more realistic schedule for property hunting would allow you to reject the "almost" suitable properties and also allow you to develop realistic expectations.

That's great news, a little bit of stress taken away on your fist day of work is surely a bonus! I think our budget is going to be very similar to yours by the sounds of it. Did you look at any places in Riccarton and upper Riccarton? There seems to be lots of properties available there. One last question....from where did you obtain a reference to give to the potential landlords? I have only ever rented accommodation once, for a short period of time about 2 years ago. Would one reference be enough do you think or would they look for people with a bigger rental history?

Any info would be much appreciated. Again, well done on securing a property!

cherry

Congrats RR. Sounds like everything will be downhill from here.

Hi RR...great news!!! I found it quite good fun in the early days camping out in an empty house. If you need anything drop me a PM and we can see if we can find anything...we are a bit short on crockery and glassware but may be able to help with less breakable stuff.

Cherry, we had not rented for over 15 years, so we obtained a reference from the landlords of the furnished holiday accom we occupied for the first month here and also from my previous employer. The rental agency was happy with this.

Well done RR, great news

Congrats!

Brilliant news, RR!

Good news! Welcome home

Yay, congrats!!

Trademe has lots of cheapy stuff on there at the moment, mainly people moving away from Chch getting rid of excess goods. Might be worth a look for temp furniture at least

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast