Thread: Abel Tasman kayaking etc

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Abel Tasman kayaking etc

We've got a long weekend planned in the Abel Tasman area for Labour Day weekend and we'd like to do a day's kayaking/walking in the park. Our friends who have been to the area before says that the Southern end of the park is pretty boring for kayaking and the best bits are higher up (Torrent Bay, Bark Bay, Tonga?).

We can do a guided tour up to these areas, and including some water taxis, but they're looking at $150-200 EACH PERSON for these trips.

One the other hand, there are "freedom rental" options but these don't seem to offer you as much flexibility in terms of how far you can go/one way hires etc.

Any thoughts oh wise people of the forum?

I don't know- we hiked Abel Tasman last year and it was gorgeous, but hadn't tried the kayaking. Regardless I'll bet you'll have a great time!

more pics here: http://gallery.me.com/rawsoncj#10032...lack&view=grid
    Last edited by dilanium; 28th August 2011 at 04:53 PM.

We have been over to Abel Tasman a lot of times, but haven't done any kayak rentals so far. I do know that the freedom rentals are generally in the 'Mad Mile' at the south end of the park. Since the companies don't have depots in the park you have to take a water taxi to get up to Torrent/Tonga etc. and it is a long paddle back to Marahau/Kaiteriteri (10km+) so they send you with guides.

One option is to look at the kayaking operator on the Golden Bay side of the park: http://www.goldenbaykayaks.co.nz/ They do freedom rentals as well as guided tours. That area is *much* quieter and more rugged than the Tasman Bay coast. We haven't tried them ourselves (yet) but we have been contemplating it one of these days.

Thanks dbonnett. I found them yesterday and was thinking they were probably going to be the best bet

Let me know how it goes- I've been thinking about going back and trying the kayaking.

I'll try to remember to post a report!

I had 3 days kayaking in Abel Tasman and 4 in the Marleborough Sounds in Feb and had an excellent time. I definitely recommend freedom hire if you've any experience at all, it gives you more options.

I was going to with the outfit at the Northern End, but at the time the business was changing hands and they didn't do rentals for longer for two days. We hired through MSK at Marahau.

Depends on your experience and conditions (the prevailing wind's from the north) but you should be able to get to Torrent Bay in a day, and two days comfortably to Bark Bay. From memory most do one way rentals.