Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aghhhh - Electric mower died

Default Aghhhh - Electric mower died

My house is on the market - so who knows when I'll be making the move back to NZ. Murphy's law - this morning my wonderful electric mower died. I hate
    to buy another as I don't think I can use it in NZ - but I have to buy another as I've got another few months before the lawn will stop growing for the winter. Darn it anyway.

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a 110/220 mower that can be used in both NZ or US just by switching the plug? I noticed there are also rechargable mowers - so am wondering if the recharging unit is 110/220.

I've looked online but this info isn't given. Does anyone have any experience with this?

No chance you could borrow or rent one from a neighbour for these few months?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No chance you could borrow or rent one from a neighbour for these few months?
    Thanks - great idea, but I don't have any neighbors with a mower. They all have a guy do their lawns. I've had him do my lawn in the past but he only mows once or twice a month - not enough, especially when the house is up for sale. All my neighbors are part-timers - second homes - so they're not as picky.

I just ordered a new electric mower. The old mower quit halfway through the back lawn. * sigh *

You can run just about anything off of a good power transformer:

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource%C2%...4647384&sr=1-1

No personal experience, but I've read reviewers who even run major appliances off of these when they move from one country to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    I just ordered a new electric mower. The old mower quit halfway through the back lawn. * sigh *

(((()))) It's always the way. Appliances are never usually going to 'die' while sitting still - they choose their moment for maximum inconvenience, don't they? It's like with pets, who ALWAYS get ill just after close of the last vet's surgery before a Bank Holiday weekend so you have the pleasure of paying double fees.

Why not get a petrol mower and then you can ship it over with no issues?

Bring it- you can sell it here if you don't need it. They are stupidly expensive here. A basic flymo is $200+. We actually pay someone to do our lawns cos a suitable mower would be $3/400.

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    Why not get a petrol mower and then you can ship it over with no issues?
    Thanks for your feedback but never again will I own a petrol mower! I spent more time taking the silly carburetor apart than I spent mowing! I love
    electric mowers. But thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Thanks for your feedback but never again will I own a petrol mower! I spent more time taking the silly carburetor apart than I spent mowing! I love
    electric mowers. But thanks!
    But taking them apart is part of the fun ... without the lawnmower engine to rebuild / maintain I might get tempted to pull the car engine apart - and that could be pricey!

That said I quite like the sound of a rechargeable mower ... the only memories I have of an electric one is my Dad spending his entire time rewiring it due to constantly running over the cable!

Quote Originally Posted by James 1077 View Post
    But taking them apart is part of the fun ... without the lawnmower engine to rebuild / maintain I might get tempted to pull the car engine apart - and that could be pricey!

That said I quite like the sound of a rechargeable mower ... the only memories I have of an electric one is my Dad spending his entire time rewiring it due to constantly running over the cable!

I'm become quite the expert at mowing with the extension cord slung over my shoulder. Would rather buy a new cable every month than take the silly petrol mower apart!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast