Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best suburbs to live in Cantebury - close proximity to christchurch city

Thanks again! Definitely something to consider when we are looking for a more permanent place to stay, although i did have a quick look on trade me and the properties to rent there seem to be in short supply! Starting to feel a bit panic-stricken regarding housing but i am certain we will find somewhere!

x

I would not suggest Beckenham or Cashmere if you want to be away from Earthquake damage. Definitely head to the north and west of the city. Rangiora is a nice wee town...and Fernside is lovely too...there are great neighbours there

Depends upon how adventurous you feel...you can get a bargain with some of the house rentals in the east at the moment!!

.can you tell me any info about Beckenham and cashmere
    Both are very good schools. Probably in the top 5 in Christchurch. As for finding a place away from earthquakes, there isn't really any. North of Christchurch too was hit very hard. I was surprised how the earthquake travelled through the Waimaki river. Certainly Rangiora or Kaipoi wouldn't be on my list.

Many are heading east of Christchurch - away from soft ground. Problem is schooling and it seems that good schools still maintain a high resale value on houses zoned in those areas. But then there's the shopping aspect, Westfield Mall in Riccarton is very busy. Depends on what you value?

Excellent place to live that Fernside

Takes me 30 mins to get to North New Brighton for a 8.50 am gardening start , 40 mins to get to just South of Fendalton this morning at 8.45 and it takes Clare 35 mins to get to Hospital at 6.30 am
    I suppose outside of these early hours (say daytime hours like 11am or 3pm) may be out of the question for a commute to Christchurch. But to most people overseas from big cities, 40min - 1 hour commute 1 way is not a problem.

what about avonhead and burnside

Don't know about the amenities side of things in those two but no where as much damage as in the CBD or Eastern subs

what about avonhead and burnside
    Burnside is probably the top school in Christchurch. So you will find prices in those areas will extremely high. Asianhead is another expensive place.

As a matter of interest, none of these areas present newly built homes. Most are old houses built from the 50s so what you're buying is purely the land and location. Of course as time goes buy these old houses will get knocked down for new builds.

Another matter of interest is in NZ, value of an area is strongly tied to the performance of the school in that area. There's less emphasis on closeness to shopping areas and safety of the neighbourhood. Avonhead 10 - 20 years ago was never a place of high burglaries but recently, it's been rising (just like the price of the houses there).

Not far in the area of Ilam, my friend bought a 850sqm section with an old knock down house for $401K. They plan to sub-divide. Even if they don't, I question what kind of house can you put on it? $300K is below the average for a new house to build so $750K is what you get for a single story 4 bedroom house in those areas.

Beckenham and Cashmere certainly won't be quake free zones but they're still great places to live. The infrastructure there hasn't been as badly damaged as the eastern suburbs, so the roads are drivable and there is sewer and water. A lot of local shops have come down, and some houses too, but there's still plenty going on. Lots of cafes open, and heaps of parks for the little uns. There some nice river walks too.
    On the downside a lot of aftershocks are centred in the area, and you will feel them a lot stronger than on the north and western parts of town. Just the other night we felt a huge shake that we were sure must have been 4+. When we looked it up it was a 3.0 but virtually in our back yard.
    Good luck!

west indies - what do you consider to be the most important things for you and your family? Do you know whereabouts you'll be working?

As others have said, nowhere is really quake free and even in "green" areas there are "red" homes. Some areas are certainly better bets than others though, while facilities and schooling may be something of a moving target in the next few years as more red zone dwellers shift away from the eastern suburbs.

I would echo what Lindreth is saying. Beckenham is a great area, quiet, green, pretty wooden houses, excellent schools, plenty of parks and so so convenient to the city. I know that most companies have relocated from the CBD but some have moved to Sydenham which is just five minutes drive from Bekenham. We live across beckenham park, it takes me ten minutes to bike to work (hospital) and five minutes to my husband (his IT company is now in Sydenham).Our house hasn't been touched much by the earthquakes but some closer to Bowenvale have been. Bowenvale is lovely though. Cashmere flat is good but I wouldn't want to be on the hills simply because it wouldn't work for us (five children who are used to getting anywhere by themselves, which means cycling or walking- a bit too hard if you are on top of the hills). Opawa is also nice, green, cheaper, and you can find some nice character houses there. Better check about the earthquakes zones about Opawa, I know some houses have been badly hit. Between Beckenham and Cashmere is Huntsbury but that has been badly damaged. I like St Martins too, roughly around the same area, but it all depends on what you like. I would never want to live in Burnside for instance, despite the good school etc.., it is just not for me.
    Good luck, Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Super_BQ View Post
    . I was surprised how the earthquake travelled through the Waimaki river. Certainly Rangiora or Kaipoi wouldn't be on my list.

Many are heading east of Christchurch - You mean West , yes
    Guess you've not been to Rangiora lately? Apart from damage to some properties on the High Street, has faired somewhat better than others , very minimal road damage.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast