Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody read 'Moving to New Zealand: The Real Story'?

Default Anybody read 'Moving to New Zealand: The Real Story'?

Hey all,

I found this interesting, if a little dramatic, article/ebook on Amazon the other day. It can be read on a Kindle, iPad, iPhone, PC, etc and costs £2.84.

Some of the generalisations are quite shocking and it's clear she has not had a great experience moving to NZ. She seems to be very bitter, but does attempt to give a balanced argument.

As we are all info hungry and like to learn as much as we can, I was just wondering if anyone had read it, and what you thought if you have?

Dan

This site and Rick's articles led me to ENZ where he is a member. Do a search and you'll find great advice from him on moving to NZ.

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/73/...w_Zealand.html

He did several articles on his move and living in NZ, there are also other articles by others who went to NZ.

Kristina

It sounds like that ebook tries to be somewhat objective. As opposed to the several less objective sites that want to "warn" people about how terrible it is to emigrate to NZ.

IMO it is good to be as informed as possible before making such a big move. But no matter how much you prepare there is no way to predict exactly how things will turn out. There are people who have had wonderful experiences and others for whom it has been a nightmare. And I'm sure that is the case if you look into emigrating to other countries. Just how many people fall into each camp is probably impossible to measure.

What would be helpful is to get a sense of what are generally "good" or "bad" reasons to make the move. I am still hoping to emigrate, but will throw out some generalizations, and maybe others can either correct me or throw out their own ideas:

"Good" reasons to move that are likely to lead to a positive NZ experience:
    1. Love for a lifestyle where you are closer to nature/outdoors.
    2. Want to live somewhere with less crowds and congestion (except Auckland.)
    3. Want to live and raise family in a less materialistic culture (meaning you are also happy with less "stuff")
    4. Have a good job currently, but can also get a good job in NZ with better work/life balance.
    5. Want to experience a different culture (as opposed to expecting people and things to be like you are used to, just less crowded.)

"Bad" reasons to move to NZ that could lead to troubles
    1. Depression or marriage problems. NZ does provide a fresh start, but it does not in itself solve these issues, although it may temporarily mask them. And things could be worse since you will no longer have the same support system.
    2. Financial troubles. A job in NZ may have better work conditions, but it is unlikely to pay better, especially with the increased cost of living. If your job does not support your lifestyle in your current country, I'd guess you will have the same issues in NZ. You can change your lifestyle to fit your income, but that is the case wherever you live.
    3. Moving because you OH wants to, but you don't yourself have much motivation or job prospects.
    4. Expectation that it will be "like the UK or US but without the downsides."

Thanks for mentioning the book. It's downloaded to the iPhone app and I can't wait to read it.

Cani, I don't think that is the same person...

Maria Aandewijck is the author of the one I was referring to.

I just thought I might elaborate on a bit of the content.

She talks a lot about a high cost of living, about being rejected for a job (or jobs) because she is more qualified than the person interviewing, poor customer service, poor educational standards, etc.

Most embarassingly she says there is 'discrimination and general disdain for Maori and Pasifika people.' And then in the very next sentence says there are 'stereotypical people Maori and Pasifika people who behave exactly as expected, therefore reinforcing the negative opinions'. Foolishness, surely.

Another surprising comment is in a list of things she wishes she had known before going to New Zealand. It's number three on the list;

'It does rain here [NZ], about as much as the UK and it does get cold.'

Apparently, she didn't know it rained in NZ.

Well, I will leave that with you to mull over Obviously I'm not overly impressed, but it is interesting to hear things from this perspective...

Quote Originally Posted by dan-ish View Post
    Hey all,

I found this interesting, if a little dramatic, article/ebook on Amazon the other day. It can be read on a Kindle, iPad, iPhone, PC, etc and costs £2.84.

Some of the generalisations are quite shocking and it's clear she has not had a great experience moving to NZ. She seems to be very bitter, but does attempt to give a balanced argument.

As we are all info hungry and like to learn as much as we can, I was just wondering if anyone had read it, and what you thought if you have?

Dan
    I have read it and found it, like yourself, to be quite negative in the way the author has presented their experience. I am certain that life isn't perfect in NZ but in that respect the reality is that it's no different than anywhere else. I could write a Tolstoyesque sized book on my experiences of my life to date in the UK. The difference being between mine and this is that I would present a balanced view of life here, good and bad. I don't think that is presented in this particular diatribe and as a consequence it presents a jaundiced view of life in NZ in my opinion. I would place far greater creedence on the paper had the author taken the time to research the opinion of a far greater representation of the immigrant population in NZ than appears to have been the case and presented it in that way. As it is, and whilst I think it does present some valid points of which I am already aware, the article represents an opinion of just one persons experience in NZ and has to be read in that context.

Worth the money? Not in my opinion! Better to read the numerous threads on this forum which will give you a much more balanced viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by tk1 View Post
    It sounds like that ebook tries to be somewhat objective. As opposed to the several less objective sites that want to "warn" people about how terrible it is to emigrate to NZ.

IMO it is good to be as informed as possible before making such a big move. But no matter how much you prepare there is no way to predict exactly how things will turn out. There are people who have had wonderful experiences and others for whom it has been a nightmare. And I'm sure that is the case if you look into emigrating to other countries. Just how many people fall into each camp is probably impossible to measure.

What would be helpful is to get a sense of what are generally "good" or "bad" reasons to make the move. I am still hoping to emigrate, but will throw out some generalizations, and maybe others can either correct me or throw out their own ideas:

"Good" reasons to move that are likely to lead to a positive NZ experience:
    1. Love for a lifestyle where you are closer to nature/outdoors.
    2. Want to live somewhere with less crowds and congestion (except Auckland.)
    3. Want to live and raise family in a less materialistic culture (meaning you are also happy with less "stuff")
    4. Have a good job currently, but can also get a good job in NZ with better work/life balance.
    5. Want to experience a different culture (as opposed to expecting people and things to be like you are used to, just less crowded.)

"Bad" reasons to move to NZ that could lead to troubles
    1. Depression or marriage problems. NZ does provide a fresh start, but it does not in itself solve these issues, although it may temporarily mask them. And things could be worse since you will no longer have the same support system.
    2. Financial troubles. A job in NZ may have better work conditions, but it is unlikely to pay better, especially with the increased cost of living. If your job does not support your lifestyle in your current country, I'd guess you will have the same issues in NZ. You can change your lifestyle to fit your income, but that is the case wherever you live.
    3. Moving because you OH wants to, but you don't yourself have much motivation or job prospects.
    4. Expectation that it will be "like the UK or US but without the downsides."
    Good post TK and probably too close to home for comfort!! I have feet in both camps if I'm being truthful with myself. Time for some navel gazing methinks!!

Excellent book. I couldn't stop reading it because it offers some perspective on what we on this forum are all going through. However yes, the author seems to have a chip on her shoulder. She tells us how well educated she is, how affluent her family is, all the countries they have lived in, etc. Then about how backwards New Zealand is compared to the US and Europe, how she didn’t want to join a union, but had to anyways. Well if you don’t like it, here are the directions to Auckland International. Thanks for visiting.

Also I question her factual detail, to say that NZ has 4 million people under states the population. Further to say that NZ has a net population decrease due to emigration to Aussie Land is just factually wrong. The population has increased from just over 3 million people in 1980 so clearly there is population growth.

Good read, but please, as we Americans say, take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottNZ View Post
    to say that NZ has 4 million people under states the population.
    Well, ye-es, but it's common shorthand - it's still true if you're rounding to the nearest million. http://www.stats.govt.nz/tools_and_s...ion_clock.aspx

Downloaded it to my kindle - definate bed time reading tonight!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast