Thread: Blood tests

Default Blood tests

Hello everyone. Would it be OK if I did the blood work and x-ray before the actual medical?

The reason I ask is that the results sometimes take 2-3 weeks before they are released since I will be doing the blood tests at our general hospital lab. I have all of my other documents ready for the ITA and its just my medical missing. I don't want to delay after my medical.

I have given myself another 2-3 weeks before doing the medical so I can get the stomach down a few more cm.

Thanks.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TTLucian View Post
    Hello everyone. Would it be OK if I did the blood work and x-ray before the actual medical?

The reason I ask is that the results sometimes take 2-3 weeks before they are released since I will be doing the blood tests at our general hospital lab. I have all of my other documents ready for the ITA and its just my medical missing. I don't want to delay after my medical.

I have given myself another 2-3 weeks before doing the medical so I can get the stomach down a few more cm.

Thanks.
    Hi,

I have done the blood test and the medical check in the same day, at the same clinic, the X-ray was done at the same day in another clinic and I could take it at the same day but the doctor just gave me the papers signed after seeing the the results from both tests. It has taken 2 days in total!!!

Good Luck

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

We had our blood work and x-ray done in advance and the doctor had the results ready for when we did the medical. Speeded things up greatly. But in the US we didn't use panel doctors. If you have a panel doctor I think they are the ones that have to order the tests.

I don't know what the St Lucia situation is in terms of docs but maybe phone to check if the doc will send you off for the tests in advance. Our doctor actually suggested it because she knew time was tight.

I think it's fine if you can get them done ahead of time. The labs and radiology clinics in my town won't do it without a written script from the doctor so I'll be waiting until the day of our appointments.

Thanks guys. I spoke to my doc and he will give me the referral to get the tests done. I am doing it tomorrow.

We have no panel doctors here in St. Lucia so I will be using a GP. Already have my wife and kids medicals done. I'm the only one left.

Hi TTLucian

Just how big can one's waist be, what do they check for. Iím not obese but Iím exactly small as well. Must I hit the gym again.

Homework time...

D2 Weight, height, BMI and waist circumference
    The medical examiner is expected to use metric units throughout. Measurements given in other
    units may result in Immigration New Zealand not accepting the medical certificate.
    Adults and children should be weighed standing, barefoot or in stockings/socks and wearing
    lightweight clothing. Infants should be barefoot and weighed in undergarments. Weight is to be
    measured in kilograms, except for infants where weight should be noted to the nearest 0.1kg.
    Height is measured standing in all persons over the age of 24 months. Use a stadiometer fixed
    to the wall. Measurement to the nearest centimetre or better is required. The measurement of
    children less than 24 months may be of height or of length. If length was measured because the
    child was unable to stand, this should be indicated, and the reason for this noted.
    The medical examiner is expected to calculate the BMI for all applicants aged 18 years and older.
    Measure the waist circumference of all applicants 18 years of age. With a tape measure, comfortably
    measure the shortest circumference that is below the rib cage and above the umbilicus.
    The medical examiner is to request fasting glucose and fasting lipids where BMI >35 or when
    the waist circumference in applicants 18 years or over is greater than the following limits1:
    ē men: ≥ 102cm, except Asian/Indian men: ≥ 90cm
    ē women: ≥ 88cm, except Asian/Indian women: ≥ 80cm.
    Where a patient may be in a higher risk category, with fasting bloods having been requested, the
    applicantís attitude to their condition should be explored. Please note whether they recognise a
    problem exists, whether they are planning any changes to improve the situation, have they made
    any changes, what success, if any, have they had etc, is all relevant information.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...lExaminers.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kseafield View Post
    Hi TTLucian

Just how big can one's waist be, what do they check for. Iím not obese but Iím exactly small as well. Must I hit the gym again.
    Hi Kseafield. See JandM's post above for the limits.