Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying, alone, with kids...suggestions?

Default Flying, alone, with kids...suggestions?

So, less than two weeks and I'm still doing a million things every day. It seems like every day there is one little thing the pet company or the shipper forgot to tell you and, oh yes, that's a few more dollars for that, of course.

My 2 year old girl, who I affectionately refer to as "Animal" (like the drummer muppet), my 5 year old boy (who just can't wait to have his own tv screen on the plane) and I will be flying without the calming and commanding presence of Daddy. Has anybody done this before? What are some travel tips you might have?

We've done a little bit of traveling with the kids and about 50% of the time people bend over backwards to be helpful and 50% of the time people are vocally rude and irritated. Nothing in between. As I used to be one of those in the latter category (before I had kids) who couldn't understand why people didn't require their children behave better , I can usually shrug off the disapproval because I know karma's a female dog! However, I've never traveled so long and so publicly with "Animal" before and I'm a little worried about her eating her drum kit. I have an iPod and laptop for the occasional movie and I know they have entertainment on the plane, but this child isn't really in the phase of life that electronics are satisfying. She would much prefer climbing the highest thing in the airport, flinging herself off of it at her brother whilst taking him down into a head lock. So...if anyone has little, clever, distracting activities they know, I would appreciate the advice!

Thanks!
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Has anybody done this before? What are some travel tips you might have?
    Hate to say this, but 2 is not an easy age to fly with I wouldn’t worry too much about the 5 year old, once they have sussed the electronics, they’re usually fine.

I did the trip twice NZ-UK (once by myself) with two year old twins, and although it is not an experience I care to repeat, I’ve lived through it.

I took lots of little things to do: playdoh, pipe cleaners (you know those bendy things), pencils, colouring in books, etc. All new, all individually wrapped. The motto has to be ‘every little helps,’ and I usually made them wait (every minute is one closer to your destination!). So for example, they get the first toy once the plane is in the air. Once they get bored with that, we go to the toilet, and walk around, and then in 5 minutes, you get the next toy. No toys during the meals, only once the table has been cleared do you get the next one… etc, you get the idea.

The most difficult I found was to explain why you had to fasten the seat belt sometimes and couldn’t walk around or stand in the seat. I resorted to bribing with sweets, again packed in individual little bags, handed out one at a time, with a few minutes in between…

We swapped seats once or twice, in a row of three, for a two year old, that is still a change and gives the illusion of moving. Same for waiting at the airport: we normally moved every half hour or so, just ten metres this way or that, but still a different perspective.

It can be done, and I'm sure there'll be more handy hints from the others here who have done the trip with little ones.

Good luck,
    Daniela

I really like the "pipe cleaner as toy" idea. She'll love that. Also, I like spreading out the toys like that.

Did your twins sleep at all on the flight? Did you sleep?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Did your twins sleep at all on the flight? Did you sleep?
    They slept a little bit (maybe four hours all in all?), I didn't sleep more than an hour.

Do you have someone at the other end who can look after your kids while you recover once you have arrived? I find knowing that you can hand them over to someone else at the end of the trip helps.

Daniela

Hi,
    I will be in the same situation as you next year albeit mine will be alittle older (5 and 6). Something I saw when we last went to NZ (minus kids) was a mum on her own with 2 little girls. It was a night flight leaving Manchester connecting at Abu Dhabi to Sydney. At MCR she put them both in PJs with slippers and had those little cases which count as hand luggage and had what dharder suggested. We were on both these flights with these kids, quite near them and they were absolutely no bother....
    I know what your concerns are though - I flew to Berlin once with a screaming 1 year old and it was not a pleasant experience - we were most definately persona non gratia when the plane landed... hey ho tough luck..that's kids for you - completely unpredictable.....
    Hope everything goes well.
    Nicky

Just did it with 4/6 yr old boys from DC! Entertainment screens worked a charm as did melatonin!
    good luck

Be really selective when you choose your seats. Often families with babies or young children ask for the first row behind a bulkhead. If you're in the middle seats, it'll give you more room and you won't have a row of seats in front of you. Having flown from NZ to LAX with a two year in the seat behind me, the other passengers will appreciate it too!

We are in the same situation, flying out Dec 2nd, LA to Auckland, our daughters will be 5 and 22months. Im not at all bothered by the 5 year old, but our 22month old has the nickname "monster". Thank god my husband will be with me I couldnt imagine doing it on my own. We're flying Airnz so I upgraded to the skycouch so they can sleep comfortably and it doubles as a play area, also picked the last row of seats by the bathroom, that way I figured if they have to get up we can hover around that area, hopefully without disturbing others. Plus its a night flight so Im just hoping they will sleep, but Ill be packing plenty of snacks, and toys etc, my doctor did suggest giving her benadryl, to make her sleepy but said it can have the opposite effect so try it a week before to see how she reacts. Good luck

Does anyone remember the good 'ole days when you could medicate kids with phenergan????? Slept like babies - hey ho ..Like the suggestion re: booking seats near toilets - that is definately one I will use - we all know what it is like - different toilet than one at home so child feels the need to try it out on the hour, every hour....
    Also means that I will be close at hand for second child...and not have to leave her on her own in the middle of the plane..not that I ever saw that film with Jodie Foster but saw the trailer and that was enough!!!!
    I have already explained to OH that I will be collapsing with exhaustion on arrival in NZ and that for the first 24 - 48 hours the girls are definately HIS children ( I will accept no parental responsibility) due to extreme jetlag!!!!

Funny, my son and his wife call their two year old, 'La Diabla'. She is a little devil! If son and two year old were on the same flight as me, I might have to pretend that I don't know them!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast