Thread: Can we attach photos of ourselves and biodata in our CV?

Default Can we attach photos of ourselves and biodata in our CV?

Hi, I know that in the USA, you cannot attach photos of yourself, and write biodata that reveal your age, race or sex.

Those CV's will be thrown away immediately purely because of the anti-discrimination legal laws that are meant to protect the applicant.

However, in some countries, those type of data are expected and welcomed. For example, photo of the applicant.

How about in New Zealand? Are there any legal laws, or is it just culture?

Does anyone have insight?

Thanks.

coco.

DOB is fine, ditto citizenship / visa status. Photos are a personal choice, and perhaps depend on what field you work in. Also depends on the person reviewing CVs, I've yet to think better of a CV because it had a photo on it, and generally it goes down in my estimations just because of the photo , regardless of what the person looks like).

Thank you Duncan!

DOB and visa status should be fine. I would like to add an interesting incident. My company was recruiting few months back and my manager was saying he received a CV which had something like 'Nationality : South African (White)'. It deserved the place it to be - trash.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

I just reveiwed a bunch of CVs for a contract position in government. The style of the CVs varied greatly but none of them had photos. Some biodata was included and I think it's important to put your immigration status so the prospective employer knows where they stand (i.e permanent resident vs one-year work visa, or even a non-resident).