Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard times!! What can he do?

Default Hard times!! What can he do?

It's really hard out there getting a job. Our Son is 19teen and has little experience. He is on a WHV and the rest of his family have permanent visa's. As his Mum I want him to stay, and he does too. But in reality it's hard to get a job. He is applying for so much, realistically he would love to do a trade, mechanics, plumbing and to join a company who are looking for an apprentice. There is nothing out there. What else can he do?? He has been out with his C.V's and knocking on doors etc.
    He is a young man who has now experienced New Zealand and loves it. He's my boy, and I want him here with us. Any suggestions anyone??

Thanks

could he go back to college to gain a trade quali?

Quote Originally Posted by pitkennedy View Post
    It's really hard out there getting a job. Our Son is 19teen and has little experience. He is on a WHV and the rest of his family have permanent visa's. As his Mum I want him to stay, and he does too. But in reality it's hard to get a job. He is applying for so much, realistically he would love to do a trade, mechanics, plumbing and to join a company who are looking for an apprentice. There is nothing out there. What else can he do?? He has been out with his C.V's and knocking on doors etc.
    He is a young man who has now experienced New Zealand and loves it. He's my boy, and I want him here with us. Any suggestions anyone??

Thanks
    I really feel for you. I intend moving out with my 4 kids, well not kids as they are 26, 20,17 and 14. Only 1 currently works whilst the other 3 are still at Uni/College/School BUT they will be looking for work in the not too distant future when we land.

The problem is not confined to NZ either and is a world wide issue courtesy of the global financial crisis and the globalisation of corporations. Youth unemployment is also huge in the UK and even well qualified graduates are finding it difficult getting a job.

Training in a trade, plumbing, electrician, carpentry, building, etc is probably no bad thing. A good living can be made in a trade. Whilst not a tradesman myself I have many friends who are and they are always working even in these hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by skywatcher View Post
    I really feel for you. I intend moving out with my 4 kids, well not kids as they are 26, 20,17 and 14. Only 1 currently works whilst the other 3 are still at Uni/College/School BUT they will be looking for work in the not too distant future when we land.

The problem is not confined to NZ either and is a world wide issue courtesy of the global financial crisis and the globalisation of corporations. Youth unemployment is also huge in the UK and even well qualified graduates are finding it difficult getting a job.

Training in a trade, plumbing, electrician, carpentry, building, etc is probably no bad thing. A good living can be made in a trade. Whilst not a tradesman myself I have many friends who are and they are always working even in these hard times.
    Unfortunately he can't. The international fee's for college are astronomical and with him being on a WHV he is not entitled to go to college for more than 6months. It is very worrying, and difficult. This situation does not do much for youngsters self esteem.
    He will persevere, and hopefully it will eventually pay off.
    When do you move out?
    Helen

Quote Originally Posted by pitkennedy View Post
    Unfortunately he can't. The international fee's for college are astronomical and with him being on a WHV he is not entitled to go to college for more than 6months. It is very worrying, and difficult. This situation does not do much for youngsters self esteem.
    He will persevere, and hopefully it will eventually pay off.
    When do you move out?
    Helen
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you +++

Would it be worth getting the ball rolling for PR for him under the family route if the rest of you are all out there with PR's?

We have no date fixed yet as we are still going through the visa application process. It's a long drawn out affair and the slightest thing can trip you up and introduce yet more delays and frustration. Was hoping to have been there by the end of July but at the current rate of progress it could be next year!!

Could he get some sort of job with rebuilding Christchurch? I understand tradies are much in demand and it might be the ideal place to get an apprenticeship.

Would it be worth getting the ball rolling for PR for him under the family route if the rest of you are all out there with PR's?
    Pitkennedy hasn't had Residence for three years yet, so that's not a viable route for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Pitkennedy hasn't had Residence for three years yet, so that's not a viable route for the time being.

Very true, we have an indefinite visa. But we will have PR sometime around Christmas time or just after. can't wait, as it will make life a little easier. I have just recently sent my passport away to have the option to travel for a year. My Mum was recently diagnosed with cancer, so I had to get the travel option. As if I had to travel and stayed away from New Zealand for longer than 2 weeks then I would have to start the whole process of an application all over again. It's not easy, and we made a mistake and nearly put our Son's application at risk. If you have any quieries, I suggest you get the proper info from immigration.
    I just hope our Son gets a job soon!! I have everything crossed. He is a good lad and I am sure things will work out in the long run.

Yep, I guess this is an option. I would be ever so worried about him though. I guess it's up to him. He did discuss it with me and I said I would rather him here with us. Time will tell. I worry to much. lol.

But we will have PR sometime around Christmas time or just after.
    I don't know your exact dates, but please be careful and read all the information from INZ, because PR and the right to sponsor are not the same. The first time you can get Permanent Residence is TWO years after you activated your Residence visa by arriving in NZ. The first time you can sponsor in someone from your family is when you have been living in NZ on the activated Residence visa for THREE years.

Mothers' worries don't ever stop, in my experience - even when your children are into middle age, with careers and families of their own which they're perfectly used to managing for themselves, you still have the link that tweaks for anything that concerns them. And they get irritated if you keep commenting on their business. If your son is interested in going where there is work, and this would allow him to get on the road to being right with INZ, why discourage him? Remember any employer who would be giving him an apprenticeship would be looking out for their own hide, too. How would you be *more* worried - him out of your sight day by day, but in the same country and on the right track to getting a long-term visa so he can then support himself and legally stay, or him forced to leave NZ, with no qualifications that would allow him to get back any time soon? (Even when in due course you can sponsor him, he'll still need a job offer in NZ before he can apply.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast