Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical MA referred

Unhappy Medical MA referred

Have just found out that my medical has been referred to the MA. They are requesting further Liver Function Tests, Hepatitis C Serology, Microalbumin: Creatinine Ratio, ECG and Report. I'm a fit and active guy so am OK with most of that but it's the LFT's that are the worry not withstanding the cost and above all delay in getting the tests done and back to the MA's.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth all the stress and I can't have a drink to drown my sorrows!!
    Last edited by skywatcher; 9th September 2011 at 12:05 AM.

Sorry to hear this. Have you talked to your GP since you had the results? If there's any treatment he feels you need, you could get this started and perhaps showing a result before you get the retests. If you do get put on a course of treatment, the doctor's findings and comments can be helpful, sent to the MA with the second lot of results they've asked for.

On the other hand, have you thought of anything you were doing immediately before the original medical that may have affected things? I don't know if it's these tests specifically that people talk about, but I know I've seen advice not to exercise more heavily than usual in the three or four days beforehand, not to overeat or drink, even to avoid all alcohol for a week, but not to drink too many fluids the day before either - might any of those be the culprits?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Have you talked to your GP since you had the results? If there's any treatment he feels you need, you could get this started and perhaps showing a result before you get the retests. If you do get put on a course of treatment, the doctor's findings and comments can be helpful, sent to the MA with the second lot of results they've asked for.

On the other hand, have you thought of anything you were doing immediately before the original medical that may have affected things? I don't know if it's these tests specifically that people talk about, but I know I've seen advice not to exercise more heavily than usual in the three or four days beforehand, not to overeat or drink, even to avoid all alcohol for a week, but not to drink too many fluids the day before either - might any of those be the culprits?
    Looking back there are some things I was doing that could have affected the result. I had a heavy week before going to the gym and also refereeing 3 pretty intense lacrosse games on hot days as well. I had cut right back on the alcohol, although not completely, and also have been taking a dietary supplement "Alli" which I have subsequently discovered can affect liver function.

So, I have subsequently sorted out some of those things, no booze and no Alli, and am watching what I eat (reduced fat) but am keeping up with the exercise regime although not overdoing it. Have also seen the Doctor and will be going back in a week or two.

It's not massively elevated above the normal range (48, normal is 9 to 40) so hopefully a spell of clean living will sort things out.

Thanks for your words of support JandM. They are much appreciated.

At the end of August the MA requested a second LFT from me, because my first one in July showed an ALT of 47 and serum albumin (I think) at 52 (normal up to 50).

Being an idiot, I had drunk and ate junk food and cakes like crazy since the medical - I mean really hit the sauce, so I was gutted to be asked to go again.

The request came through to me at 4.45pm on the Thursday, the next morning I went to my clinic and had an LFT done at 9.45am. The results came back on Tuesday showing my ALT at 63 and the serum at 56.

However, on the Friday I made another appointment for another LFT test on the Wednesday. From the Friday morning until the Wednesday morning I stopped medication (statin and beta blocker), drank dandelion and milk thistle tea, ate blackberries, raspberries and apples, drank loads of water and ordinary tea without milk, no alcohol and no carbs - each night I ate griddled tuna with salad.

I walked like crazy on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday (7-10 miles per day), then rested on the Monday and Tuesday.

Very austere and difficult, but only for five days. On Wednesday I did the second LFT and I had swung it back to an ALT of 43 and serum of 49. These figures were better than my July medical, but not quite good enough to go without a letter.

So I got my GP to say that I had NASH (fatty liver disease) but I was exercising and eating well, losing weight (didn't we all for the medical?) and that there was no cause for alarm - so a wee bit of history, my current condition and then, most importantly, a prognosis that said that the need for any medical intervention in the future was extremely low. My emigration consultant was delighted with this letter and it was submitted with my LFT results. I'm hoping to hear some good news within the next week or two - I'll keep you posted.

Best wishes!

Good luck, both!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

When I did my first bloods I had one raised measure on my LFT. I had drunk one beer the night before the test and played football. I asked my doctor to refer me again. I had to go back anyway as she'd forgotten to ask for one test that was needed so we just added this to the test.

Lived a healthy life as Carnegie suggests, everything came back super clean! It amazed me how something so little can have such an immediate effect on your liver!

Good luck. Sounds like you're doing the right things and it should hopefully be cleared up really easily.

By the time we are finished with all this we will have bodies like temples!!!

I must remember to pack my red Y-fronts and cape when I go.

Thanks for all your help and support guys and gals. I'm currently living the lifestyle of an athlete and go back to the Docs 2 weeks on Monday for more fasting bloods so we'll know more in about 3 weeks time.

I found out today that my medical has been approved; just a small bureaucratic matter regarding my eldest daughter to be cleared up and we should have our visas within 10 days.

Looks like my GP's letter did the trick!

In my medicals a couple of items were slightly raised by the Dr. noted that everything was normal and only recommended a low fat diet which isn't anything out of the normal for most people. So could it still get referred to a MA even though the Dr. says I'm healthy and all is normal?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast