Thread: Cash and Gold

Default Cash and Gold

Hi, I wish to know the amount of cash $10 000 which we can bring in to NZ is calculated by per person each or per couple ?

Beside that is there any restriction/limitation on Gold (jewellery like ring or necklace) that we can bring to NZ ? Thanks.

Default Hiii

Quote Originally Posted by Lindally22 View Post
    Hi, I wish to know the amount of cash $10 000 which we can bring in to NZ is calculated by per person each or per couple ?

Beside that is there any restriction/limitation on Gold (jewellery like ring or necklace) that we can bring to NZ ? Thanks.
    Hi, You need to declare if you bring cash more than the limit. Not sure what happens after that - probably immigration officer will ask why you have so much cash ? and where did you get it from?
    (Its best to carry reciept for bank savings ect and Forex exchange recipets showing savings to cash conversion) and explanation on why you carried cash instead of bank transfer!.(Gold Coins or bars are considered cash)
    Link below:
    http://www.customs.govt.nz/questions...aspx?q=31&s=31

Jewels - We did not have any problems , My wife carried it on her hand bag and they had no questions when it was scannned, I guess as long as you are not carrying Gold coins or bars - and only jewels there would be no problems.

Cheers

There is no limit to the amount of cash that you bring; you just need to declare anything over $10k. They'll ask a bunch of questions to try and figure out where you got it from (i.e. not terrorism, drugs or other forms of money laundering) but if it is legit then there are no problems with you coming into the country with it.

But why do you want to take the risk of carrying physical cash rather than transferring it through the bank? If something happens to the plane and you have to evacuate would you be happy leaving it on the plane? And what if you fall asleep and someone rifles through the overhead lockers and takes it, or reaches under the seat and takes it from there? All of these happen!

Use a bank and transfer it straight into your NZ account and things are far easier!

Use a bank and transfer it straight into your NZ account and things are far easier!
    Because sometimes people like to save hard cash. $10,000 isn't a lot of $ nowadays. We get this questioned asked all the time when going to the US, One thing for sure is if you get a medical problem, the hospitals in the US gladly accept cash.

But I think there's an underlying meaning to bring cash on the plane. It's to hide undeclared $. I recall a wise old man once told me that back in the 60s and 70s, he use to bring suitcase full of $ leaving NZ to Hong Kong, and then launder it back into NZ through the banking system.

Thanks guys for the info. As Super_BQ explain, we felt more comfort to bring cash and 10000K is not really a lots now a days. We even think this might not be enough as we plan to buy a car by cash once reach there. Beside that if we change the NZ dollar here ( with money changer ) , the exchange rate is much better if compare to bank exchange rate.

The jewellery i mention is in quite a lots of grams and I Hope this will be fine as well.