Thread: Do I need to re-chip the pooch?

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Default Do I need to re-chip the pooch?

My pooch was microchipped in the US with a Home Again chip that enabled us to import her. Do I need to get her re-chipped in NZ?

Thanks

Hi Annalie,
    I presume that a chip is a chip is a chip. Isn't there a reg number on the chip that is tied into her registration papers for importation? There isn't anything in animal transport info(UK) that says you have to get them re-chipped.
    Nicky

The HomeAgain chip in my cat cannot be read by most NZ scanners. As dogs living in cities need to be microchipped for registration, I would assume it would have to be one that can be read by Nz scanners and as such- yes your dog will probably need to be re-microchipped.

The microchip must be of the prescribed type and location to meet NZ regulations, the details of the type are here...

4 Prescribed microchip transponder
    (1) A microchip transponder to be implanted in a dog under section 36A or section 69A of the Act must—

(a) comply with the following standards (as stated at 1 July 2006):

(i) NZS/ISO 11784:2001 Radio-frequency identification of animals—Code structure; and

(ii) NZS/ISO 11785:2001 Radio-frequency identification of animals—Technical concept; and

(b) be encased within a single-use implantation device and, as a unit, be sterile, individually packaged, and ready for use; and

(c) be supplied with no fewer than 3 self-adhesive bar codes stating the microchip transponder's unique number.

(2) For the avoidance of doubt, even if a transponder has been implanted in a dog, another transponder that meets the requirements prescribed in subclause (1) must be implanted in the dog if the first transponder does not comply with those requirements.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post
    My pooch was microchipped in the US with a Home Again chip that enabled us to import her. Do I need to get her re-chipped in NZ?

Thanks
    ^^^ what he said. Plus it's worthwhile to make sure you register with your local council AND any other organisations in your area (SPCA etc) as far as I've been told they all work a little differently and if your pooch escapes and crosses the neighbouring county border you need to make sure the lil rascal is on a bigger database.

Have to say this is just info given to me but it does seem to make sense! The sooner you get them back the less it'll cost ya over here!