Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less touristy places over xmas break?

Default Less touristy places over xmas break?

Hi all,

We are moving to wellington December 9th, and plan to look for housing for 2 weeks. Then, we were told there is no point in looking for houses between dec 24 and january 8th as everything shuts down. so we are looking for nice places to go camping for that time. As we will have plenty of time later in life to visit Rotorua, Taupo, etc, when there are not thousands of people around, looking for ideas of more quiet but still beautiful places to go. Any ideas?... 3 kids, love hiking when it is not too hot, love rivers, forests, small nice town, views...

Thank you!

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

If you're looking for as few dramas as possible, I'm guessing that you won't want to be fussed with trying to get the ferry so will want to stick to the North Island.

I like the sound of the Eastern Cape and am considering that myself for our Xmas break. Drive up through Wairarapa to Hawkes Bay, then north through Gisborne and around into the Bay of Plenty. Otherwise maybe Wanganui/Whanganui/New Plymouth area?

Avoid the Coromandel over xmas as everyone from Wellington seems to go there

Quote Originally Posted by liora View Post
    ....looking for ideas of more quiet but still beautiful places to go
    I don't want to seem discouraging but these two weeks are the busiest in the year for travelling and camping. Many work places close during this period and people take advantage of the "forced holiday" the best they can. It is quite crucial to book your accommodation in advance and you are unlikely to find any quiet places (in my own experience). Anyway, good luck and enjoy!

I've heard good things about kayaking down the Whanganui river.

The area surrounding Lake Waikaremoana is peaceful and beautiful and you can do several one-day trips rather than the full 4-days one. There is a lovely camping ground too www.lake.co.nz/camp.html but you must book well in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Manks View Post

I like the sound of the Eastern Cape and am considering that myself for our Xmas break. Drive up through Wairarapa to Hawkes Bay, then north through Gisborne and around into the Bay of Plenty. Otherwise maybe Wanganui/Whanganui/New Plymouth area?
    No, no no.

I did the east cape last xmas, cycled from Tauranga on xmas eve and got back here on new years eve via the east cape and Gisborne. East cape is busy, and by that I mean by the east cape's standards. So most things are closed, but the campsites are very busy. Then Gisborne has the rythmn and vines festival which I'd never heard of until I tuurned up in gisborne on opening day with no hotel booking and tried to find a room.... 20,000 19 year olds there for a music festival actually made a good atmosphere after the 'remote' east cape, but was almost as bad as the mount / Tauranga. And after aving been on teh coromandel at easter, I can't imagine that xmas would be good for you, again there's another festival on over new year.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan74 View Post
    No, no no.

I did the east cape last xmas, cycled from Tauranga on xmas eve and got back here on new years eve via the east cape and Gisborne. East cape is busy, and by that I mean by the east cape's standards. So most things are closed, but the campsites are very busy. Then Gisborne has the rythmn and vines festival which I'd never heard of until I tuurned up in gisborne on opening day with no hotel booking and tried to find a room.... 20,000 19 year olds there for a music festival actually made a good atmosphere after the 'remote' east cape, but was almost as bad as the mount / Tauranga. And after aving been on teh coromandel at easter, I can't imagine that xmas would be good for you, again there's another festival on over new year.
    Thanks Duncan. Good to know

Wellington could be pretty empty at that time, we arrived in the January & I never forget walking through the CBD & only seeing a few people, OK it was Sunday but still it was deserted, could be a good time to look around the area & explore

Quote Originally Posted by benhila View Post
    The area surrounding Lake Waikaremoana is peaceful and beautiful and you can do several one-day trips rather than the full 4-days one. There is a lovely camping ground too www.lake.co.nz/camp.html but you must book well in advance.
    Thank you! Just booked 4 nights there do you think that is too long though? Or are there enough short walks to keep us busy for 3 days?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast