Thread: FBI fingerprint card- ORI??

Default FBI fingerprint card- ORI??

So we went and got our finger prints taken for the FBI background check today. Everything went smoothly- went to the local NZ police station (had to come back a little later because someone had just been brought in...), went back waited a few minutes and went and got our finger prints taken.

Everything looks peachy- except there's no ORI code. I know this is a code of origin of the fingerprints that the FBI gives to agencies in the US. I doubt NZ police have one. Should I write the address of the police station that our prints were taken at in that box?

It's a little late in the US to call the FBI and ask (not that I EVER want to have to call the FBI...), and I'll be working all day tomorrow.

Anyone had this issue before? what did you put in that box?

For those wondering what I'm talking about- below is a sample card:

The FBI has no requirement that the prints be done by a law enforcement agency (or any professional); they only recommend it so that the prints will be acceptable...so I wouldn't worry too much about the ORI code. [All the criminal back round check shows is that your prints match up to your name and if your prints and/or name have been involved in any crimes.] The only necessities I see on the form are your name and date of birth. http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/bac...est-to-the-fbi

For those still in the US, it looks like the FBI is finally getting away from ink fingerprints: You can now go to an approved Channeler (probably more expensive than the $18, but certain to be faster). http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/bac...ved-channelers

I have done it twice once from Malaysia and once from New Zealand. I don't remember filling the ORI field and it did not give me any trouble.
    And yes it is not an FBI requirement to have the prints taken by a law enforcement agency. You can do it yourself but chances are that FBI won't be able to read the prints. Law enforcement professionals are trained to this job and have special fingerprint ink to do it correctly.

We have had our prints with FBI for 4 weeks and also have the UK background check. The UK people are extremely responsive; FBI feels like a black hole. If there is a way to expedite and or we don't get a response soon, we will do that. Thanks for the info 72andSunny.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    We have had our prints with FBI for 4 weeks and also have the UK background check. The UK people are extremely responsive; FBI feels like a black hole. If there is a way to expedite and or we don't get a response soon, we will do that. Thanks for the info 72andSunny.
    For the postal application, they say they usually take 8 weeks and there is nothing you can do to speed that up. But do email or call them to confirm they have your application as it will be on their system after 4 weeks.